Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Can My Right Turn Red Light Ticket Be Beaten

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: CA

Hello and thanks in advance for your valuable time! I recently received a right turn red light ticket in Ventura, CA. The images and video provided are all taken from the rear of the vehicle from a distance with no view of the front end. I would like to think that the front bumper had crossed the crosswalk limit line before the light turned red. There are several marks in the pavement before the crosswalk indicating sensors for the cameras but I am unsure of their accuracy. I have always filed written declarations for any ticket (few and far between), but this one is particularly important to me mostly because of the $480 fine. Any help or ideas are much appreciated!

Default Re: Can My Right Turn Red Light Ticket Be Beat

Quote Quoting MIVGTI
    View Post
    The images and video provided are all taken from the rear of the vehicle from a distance with no view of the front end.
    Are YOU clearly identifiable in any of the stills/video?

There's precedent out of Orange and San Bernardino counties appellate divisions about an officer testifying about the system making the ticket invalid; LA has precedent saying the opposite. In any case that one involves a fair bit of time and effort.

Yes, there is an image of me driving the vehicle from the front, but none of the actual front of the vehicle itself.

With that being said, my question would be this: Are the sensors in the road accurate enough to make an unbeatable case against me without images of the front of the vehicle, or are they put there to trigger the cameras on "close calls" as well? I'm a contractor and this fine will be devastating so I sincerely appreciate your thoughts!

I don't see how an officer can lay the foundation for these records ...

I think that is a question that's legitimate ~ and its up to the state to prove they are installed correctly ... the officer will never be able to answer this question

There should also be video of the violation. Video is much easier to understand "the light was red" than the pics. Absent the videos, the photos are usually have the time after the light was red stamped on it.

You are correct about there being video, however the video is taken from behind. I am preparing my written declaration and my only defense is that the video does not show proof that the truck was not yet over the limit line at the time the light turned red. I know it was close, but does the combination of the video taken from behind with the sensors in the road make the case unbeatable or is there a chance of error by the camera?

Quote Quoting MIVGTI
    View Post
    I'm a contractor and this fine will be devastating so I sincerely appreciate your thoughts!
    You mean you have a commercial license? Courts/officers are typically willing to work something out here where the violation is changed to a non-mover so you pay a hefty fine but no points; some MAY require a lawyer before they will negotiate.

The question is if the sensors are accurate "beyond a reasonable doubt". What city is this? I doubt your TBD arguments will carry any weight if the cop in charge submits his declaration. When it comes to a trial de novo we can discuss how to construct an argument. Was the notice mailed/postmarked as required?

This happened in Ventura, CA. Not a commercial license. It appears to me that as far as paperwork the court has done everything correctly as far as having the court's name on it, a courtesy notice with the bail amount, etc. Please let me know what other information I can supply, your help is much appreciated!

Was the FIRST notice you got (not the courtesy notice) within 15 days of the violation?

Other than that, if you can somehow post links to the videos with any identifying info removed that would help. As would details of the alleged timing (after yellow, etc.). Also location (intersection) in Ventura.

Unless the red light was a protected (red arrow) light -- rare for a right turn -- check the yellow timing on that signal. It should be based on the speed limit approaching the signal and should conform to the following table

Code:
    MPH Sec

25 or less 3.0
    30 3.2
    35 3.6
    40 3.9
    45 4.3
    50 4.7
    55 5.0
    60 5.4
    65 5.8

1. Sponsored Links