Default Lottery Embezzlement

So, a friend of mine, not me and when I say a friend, I mean it; was caught embezzling lotto. Here are some of the details.

She worked in a gas station and she would just hardly scratch the bottom of the ticket. If it were a winner she would cash it out and remove the funds from the win.

Example: Scan, $10 winner. Ticket cost $2 so she would take out $8.

Now if she scanned it and it was a loser she would simply keep it in the lottery case for a customer to buy. NO LOTTO EVER LEFT THE PREMISES UNPAID FOR. Anyway, she was caught and the employer are pining her for embezzlement. So I have a couple of questions.

One, she is within the proper range to possibly apply for the HYTA program. I only know a little about this program upon doing some searching online. So, is she eligible?
    Other question, what is the law for such an act as this? I know the laws for embezzlement in the state of michigan, however would this be counted as a federal offence since it is state owned, not business owned?
    Third question, since it was under $200 is the max 93 days in jail and fines?

Overall I just need some clarification of what she is looking at as far as penalties and if she is able to apply for the HYTA program.

Thanks!

Info:

State: Michigan
    Prior offenses: Driving a jet ski the wrong way on a lake. Small fine. Paid on time. (if you want to even count that)

Default Re: Lottery Embezzlement

Given that you have told us nothing about the embezzler's age or prior criminal history, let alone followed the instruction to identify her state (HYTA is a Michigan law), we are unable to tell you if she might qualify for HYTA. If she's charged with a federal crime, which I doubt, HYTA would not apply in federal court. The penalty for whatever crime she's charged with committing is whatever it is - you haven't identified the state, jurisdiction or statute.

Will update first post now with correct information.

State: Michigan
    Prior offenses: Driving a jet ski the wrong way on a lake. Small fine. Paid on time. (if you want to even count that)

How many tickets were sold to other customers after her identifying them as losers?

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    How many tickets were sold to other customers after her identifying them as losers?

Probably only 20 or so. Most of which being $2 tickets with the exception of about 2 $5 tickets, and about 2 $10 tickets.

If the accrued total she stole was less than $200 then she's probably charged with MCL 750.174(2), a 93 day misdemeanor. If she's charged with something else, you would have to tell us the charge.

If the aforementioned citation was a civil infraction, it would not be relevant to a HYTA disposition.

She can discuss with her lawyer the local district court's practices in relation to HYTA, and whether then need to (or would be wise to) file a formal petition for a HYTA sentence.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    If the accrued total she stole was less than $200 then she's probably charged with MCL 750.174(2), a 93 day misdemeanor. If she's charged with something else, you would have to tell us the charge.

If the aforementioned citation was a civil infraction, it would not be relevant to a HYTA disposition.

She can discuss with her lawyer the local district court's practices in relation to HYTA, and whether then need to (or would be wise to) file a formal petition for a HYTA sentence.
    It was a civil infraction I believe, yes. Also, I looked into the law a couple of days ago and I thought that she fell into part two of that, and you just confirmed it.

Also, would this be fraud instead?

Would what be "fraud instead", and instead of what?

Would the entire thing be considered fraud instead of embezzlement?

1. Sponsored Links