Default Criminally Charged After Rental Property Was Stolen, Despite Timely Report of Theft

ok so i rented something from rent a center purchased the benefits plus package. eventually it got stolen. so when i tell them they say its not covered whatever i have to wait 10-14 days for police report. the whole time they call me and contacts saying i stole it gonna goto jail and stuff. so when i get the police report the manager tells me "he dont need no ****ing police report that i have to pay". i agreed to pay with the coverage where they replace the item that got stolen and i would pay $71 of the $120 something outstanding debt and he says they don't take partial payments. so after the 4 or 5 calls a day for a few weeks it stops then one day the police arrest me. 2 weeks ago i eventually get my discover package but my public defender in murder trial so no access to her. in the managers report to police he never mentions anything of me telling them about the police report and it being stolen. and he also states i didn't purchase the benefit plus package which covers theft. i called main number for benefits plus and they have me in the system as having purchased the benefits plus package. so now i have to have lawyer subpena the info from them so i can hopefully get the charges drop they are also felonies.

so i was wondering if after my lawyer shows proof of the benefits plus package and they hopefully drop the charges can i sue rent a center for getting me arrested in this manor?

thank you for you're time

Default Re: Rent a Center Harrass and Decieve Police to Get Me Arrested

Not in the slightest.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

even though the manager outright lied saying i didnt purchase the benefit plus package that would cover it and the police wouldnt of arrested me

They may have made a mistake.

Very simply.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

If you can show that the Rent-a-Center employee intentionally filed a false police report, you CAN sue the manager and the company because he was acting on behalf of the company when filing the report. It is defamation to file a false report against someone and you should be able to easily show that it has cost you money due to miss worked, bail or bond issues and lowered your status in the community because now it may appear on a criminal records check.

I actually think that you will stand a good chance of winning if not settle beforehand. The manager either knew, or should have known, that you were covered by checking the system. His omission to act prudently in the situation does not relieve him of the responsability of knowledge because he had access and could have checked to verify it.

Default Re: Criminally Charged After Rental Property Was Stolen, Despite Timely Report of The

From what you have posted, I expect that the issue here is not that they deny that you had an insurance contract for the item you rented. I expect instead that the issue is that they are taking the position that the item was not in fact stolen by somebody else, but was stolen by you, and that your claim that it was stolen and attempt to get them to replace the item is fraudulent.

Had they told the police, "We believe the item was stolen but she isn't making her rental payments," the police should have explained that they need to file a civil action against you or work with their collection agency.

What state are you in and what are the exact charges (statute numbers) against you?

Default Re: Criminally Charged After Rental Property Was Stolen, Despite Timely Report of The

i am being charged within RI "sales/concealment of leased property" when i tried to show them the police report of it being stolen from hospital parking lot and damage to my car. they should of gave me a new computer and i keep paying. he playing it like i just never showed up or called pretty much in his police report.

So the store, the police and the prosecutor are, in fact, taking the position that the item was not in fact stolen by somebody else, but was stolen by you, and that your claim that it was stolen and attempt to get them to replace the item is fraudulent.

You need to work with a criminal defense lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links