Angry Drug Using Roommate

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California.

Me and my boyfriend just moved into a two bedroom house with woman who has been off and on living there for a couple of months. We know that she use to do drugs, but told us that she quit, but now she may be selling them. She has been having these having these weird mood swings and has been acusing us of trashing her things. In the 5 days that we have been there she leaves the garage door open, and has had 6 late night visitors, all after we have gone to bed. I also have come home late to find random people sitting on my porch waiting for her to get home.

We are all on separate renters agreements but me and my boyfriend pay the majority of the rent. We would like her out, What should we do?

Default Re: Drug Using Roommate

What did your landlord say when you asked him/her this question?

You don't have standing to evict her, only your landlord can.

we are talking to the landlord tonight, but we are on a month to month lease and i am worried that the landlord might ask us to leave instead of her. (some history on the landlord) her son is a chronic drug user and lived in that house for 15 years, in that time the house became a hot spot for drug and police activity and has only recently become less of a hot spot. he also trash that house, in the 5 day we have been there we turned the house 180 degrees.

we are talking to the landlord tonight, but we are on a month to month lease and i am worried that the landlord might ask us to leave instead of her.
    Well, if he does, then you'll have to leave and find another place.

There is no law forcing the landlord to continue to lease to you. He doesn't need a reason to ask you to leave, so long as he follows the law and serves you with the appropriate notice.

If she is having dangerous mood swings and inviting strange people over at all hours, then your possessions - and safety - are at risk. At best, if she is using and selling dope - your stuff will disappear. At worst, you might get hurt. Then, of course, there might be the problems with the police if they target the house for dope activity and you are there.

You might want to consider moving anyway, just for some peace of mind.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links