Default Automatic Renewal of a Lease

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of Louisiana: I rented an apartment from May 2011-July 2011. Last May I signed a 13 month lease at my apartment complex. This past April I started building a home. When I paid Mays rent I included written notice of my intent to vacate the apartment upon completion of the house in July. It was my understanding that the lease then went month to month. June 1 I spoke with the apartment and reminded her we'd be moving out in a month. At that point she said my lease had renewed automatically because I did not send written notice. I moved out in July 1st but paid the entire month of July since there had been some confusion. I tried to be nice and pay for the extra month. I dont understand this since I did infact give the notice with Mays rent payment. Now the complex wants 3000 for breaking another 13 month lease. I am baffled because we had spoken with the landlord about building a house and she knew our intent to move out. Why wouldn't she contact me before autmatically renewing the lease. Now I am being contacted by a collections agency saying I owe them 3000. Am I liable for this? What do I do???

Is it even legal to autmatically renew a lease without me signing something and or agreeing to the terms of the new lease. Since the least would be a different price??

Default Re: Automatic Renewal of a Lease

Is there an automatic renewal clause in your old lease? Did you keep a copy of the notice you included with your rent?

In Louisiana, if there is an automatic renewal clause, the new lease keeps the exact terms of the old lease. If there isn't such a clause, the tenancy converts to month to month. Read here.

Default Re: Automatic Renewal of a Lease

There is a renewal clause. However, I did give them written notice. I do not have a copy because I stupidly did not think I would need one. I feel like they are trying to rip me off because of an error on their part. Anything I can do to fight this without having a copy of the letter?

1. Sponsored Links