Default Can I Still Be a Police Officer if I Was an Accessory to a Shoplifting Crime Age 11

My question involves criminal records for the state of: Iowa but it will apply to washington and/or colorado

When I was either 11 or 12, I went shopping with a friend and she ended up stealing a necklace, bracelet, and a ring from Claires. I didn't steal anything and I tried to stop her but she didn't listen. I now have a criminal record as an accessory to shoplifting. I am going to get it expunged when I am 18, but my question is, can I become a police officer with this record? I know that LEO's/background detectives can see it even when it is expunged. I am planning on getting my bachelors in criminal justice also, if that helps. Thanks!

Default Re: Can I Still Be a Police Officer if I Was an Accessory to a Shoplifting Crime Age

I am going to get it expunged when I am 18, but my question is, can I become a police officer with this record?
    It is highly unlikely that being stupid at the age of 11 is going to cost you a career in law enforcement.

Now, had you gone out and knocked over a liquor store, that might be an issue, but as it stands, I wouldn't worry. Talk to the cops in your jurisdiction for reassurance.

Default Re: Can I Still Be a Police Officer if I Was an Accessory to a Shoplifting Crime Age

Okay, thank you! I have found some websites that say I could be disqualified and then there are others who say it most likely won't affect me. I really want to get into law enforcement because of that incident, and I would hate to see it hold me back.

Thanks for replying,
    Heidi

If it is a misdemeanor, it is not a legal bar to being a peace officer. It may be a factor in the background, but you will likely be at least 21 when you become a peace officer so that will put this 10 years in the past. Provided you have stayed out of trouble, maintained a good job history and stayed in school, you should be fine. They will look at what you have done since that time.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Okay, thank you! I've asked about it on another website and they said that it could be a dis-qualifier because it shows that I could potentially not be trustworthy and that it shows dishonesty, lying and stealing but I am not too worried about it.

Quote Quoting loping&lovingit1822
    View Post
    Okay, thank you! I've asked about it on another website and they said that it could be a dis-qualifier because it shows that I could potentially not be trustworthy and that it shows dishonesty, lying and stealing but I am not too worried about it.
    Many things COULD cause you to be rejected, including this. But, it is not an automatic disqualifier.

I am a background investigator for my agency and, frankly, this would not give me much concern.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

Aren't juvenile criminal records sealed? And I imagine they're sealed just for this reason - that something dumb someone did when they were a kid doesn't impair their adult lives.

loping, I have no experience in law enforcement but I really can't imagine shoplifting when you were 11 would prevent you from becoming a police officer.

Quote Quoting Beth3
    View Post
    Aren't juvenile criminal records sealed? And I imagine they're sealed just for this reason - that something dumb someone did when they were a kid don't impair their adult lives.

loping, I have no experience in law enforcement but I really can't imagine shoplifting when you were 11 would prevent you from becoming a police officer.
    These rules vary by state. In my state juvenile records are not automatically sealed for a decade, and before that it has to be petitioned for.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

The laws on the treatment of juvenile records vary (sometimes quite significantly) by state. I am not sure whether the state involved is Washington or Colorado. Colorado appears to entertain petitions to seal juvenile records for all but the most serious charges, rather than doing it automatically, with waiting periods that can be as short as "immediately after acquittal" to as long as ten years. Washington appears to require a petition by the juvenile after the age of 18.

1. Sponsored Links