Default Signed Lease with Old Owner, New Owner Won't Cooperate with Us on Repairs and Rent

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Florida.
    We signed lease, gave security deposit and first month's rent on Sept 1, 2011. Found when we arrived (with all our stuff) that the apartment was NOT ready to move into. at least fifteen different problems, including baseboards missing in bathroom, and spider/insect problems. Electricla outlets not working and so on. Manager and owner bs.'d us for two weeks about fixing these items. Wrote all down and gave to them. New owner bought place two weeks after we moved in. Again gave new manager "Written List" of problems including the dates. That was two weeks ago. Now it's time to pay rent again, and nothing has been done. I am also hearing from neighbors talking to maintenece guys that the new owner wants to raise the rent starting in Novemember? Can he do this, and what are my options while we save money and look for new place to live. Right now we cannot move anywhere as all our savings went to new electric deposit, and water deposits. Until we can afford to move what can we do to protect ourselves?

Default Re: Signed Lease with Old Owner, New Owner Won't Cooperate with Us on Repairs and Ren

Your lease is your lease .. new owner assumes this. If not happy w/repairs send the LL a letter, deliver it by us mail or certified mail and demand the work be completed by such and such a date.

he cannot raise your rent.

Default Re: Signed Lease with Old Owner, New Owner Won't Cooperate with Us on Repairs and Ren

There's a nice summary of your rights as a tenant while dealing with these types of issues, available here. (Yes, it's ugly, but it seems to be pretty good.)

Your new landlord can only raise rent in a manner consistent with your lease, which presumably would mean that it's fixed at an agreed rate until the end of your lease term.

>>I am also hearing from neighbors talking to maintenece guys that the new owner wants to raise the rent starting in Novemember? Can he do this, and what are my options while we save money and look for new place to live...<<
    Since I've not heard word one from this Landlord regarding the original post...do I need to be concerned with an "Altered Lease" Conflict? The first of the month is tomorrow (Sat) and I have the money order for the agreed rent of this unit from original owner. Are you saying that this original lease is still valid?

your lease is a contract -- it would take BOTH parties to modify it .. any why would you agree to raise your own rent?

1. Sponsored Links