Default Joint Account Garnished Mothers Only Income Social Security and Pension

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Florida.. I have nothing to do with my mothers account but have a judgement against me and they have garnished my mothers account in order to get me...I do not put money in that account or withdraw as I am only on that account in case my mother gets sick etc... How can I stop them from hurting my mothers abilty to pay her bills because of me.. I am a musician, broke most of the time but hate the face that my past debt is hurting my mother. I nne to make it stop, and I know all I need to do is pay the creditors and I wish I could.. But in the mean time I need to make them release her account asap. All my mother gets is social security and pension checks...

Default Re: Joint Account Garnished Mothers Only Income Social Security and Pension

Is the debt in joint names?

Do you have ANY joint accounts?

Default Re: Joint Account Garnished Mothers Only Income Social Security and Pension

If you are on the account, regardless of whether or not you put money IN, it's considered an asset of YOURS, and is subject to garnishment. Mom needs to open another account WITHOUT your name on it, and have her payments sent to THAT account.

1. Sponsored Links