Unhappy Unemployment for Trailing Spouse

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: IN

This is my case: I have to Relocate cause my wife has to do her clerkship and Job in Florida(not my own will) I went to talk with my boss and explained my situation,he understood,and he agreed to lay me off,until I could find another job down there,well,I opened my claim and put I was laidoff,but now on my Uplink page they are saying I voluntarily quit and my payments have been delayed. I got a request for information when they asked me if i quit or not, I explained them my situation..I know for a fact Indiana have Trailing spouse.. I just want to know

1. How long should i have to wait ( i answer that request for information 14 days ago without an answer)

whats your sincere opinion, do you think I will get it??? Thanks a lot

Default Re: Unemployment for Trailing Spouse

My sincere opinion is that you made things much more difficult than they had to be by asking your boss to lay you off, and he should have known better than do to so. Asking to be laid off is indeed a voluntary quit. Why in heavens name did you not just give your notice and explain to the UI office that your wife had been transferred out of state? Since IN has the trailing spouse provision, that would have been fairly straightforward. You've just unnecessarily complicated things.

Since you want a guess, my guess is that you will eventually get your benefits, but that it will take much longer and be a harder fight (possibly requiring at least one appeal) than it would have been if you had just been honest about what had happened.

However, my guess is not binding on IN's UI office. My guess and $2 will get you a cup of coffee (as long as you don't go to Starbucks).

Thanks cbg !!

I really appreciate your opinion.. I didn't know about trailing spouse since I got the request for evidence.. but anyhow I would like to know: is any office that I can go in this waiting time? or what should I do with my bills and other stuffs?? Thanks

What kind of office? Are you asking about public assistance?

I am just curious with such a long waiting period for unemployment,how do states who delay payments expect families to pay there bills,is there a place families can get help to pay bills while waiting for the unemployment,thanks?

That would be public assistance. I am not in your state and do not know what facilities are available for you.

You are supposed to prepare for situations and have savings in reserve to pay your bills. Most experts suggest a 6 month supply.

thanks a lot for your help cbg!!

1. Sponsored Links