Unhappy Obtaining A Marriage License With An Expired Visa

Im 21 and live in florida with my boyfriend of 5 years. I came here legally with an I-94 in 1990 with my family, but I overstayed my visa. My boyfriend and I are wanting to go apply for a marriage license tomorrow at the courthouse, will we run into problems because my passport and visa has expired? I have a florida id but it is also expired. It is possible for us to get married correct? I hate the headache involved with this, any help is much appreciated.

Default Re: Wanting to obtain a marriage license, any problems?

You'll need valid ID to get the license, but they won't check your immigration status. Since you entered the country legally you would normally be eligible to adjust your status after marriage. Make sure you petition to adjust your status once you're married, and recall that if you leave the country before regaining lawful status you'll face a significant period of exclusion from the U.S.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    You'll need valid ID to get the license, but they won't check your immigration status. Since you entered the country legally you would normally be eligible to adjust your status after marriage. Make sure you petition to adjust your status once you're married, and recall that if you leave the country before regaining lawful status you'll face a significant period of exclusion from the U.S.
    I looked over the form you have to fill out for the marriage license, and it does ask about a ssn/passport number .. if I put my passport number down that is expired, will this cause problems? I have talked to an immigration laywer about my case she recommended marriage for my boyfriend and I...so it must be possible if she knew about the case? Eh, all of this is so stressful.

The only problem I would anticipate is if the passport has expired, and isn't regarded as a valid ID. Although sometimes you can convince people to accept even an expired ID.

The only problem I would anticipate is if the passport has expired, and isn't regarded as a valid ID. Although sometimes you can convince people to accept even an expired ID.

What if I show my birth certificate as well? It is possible somehow to get married although I am currently illegal as long as I came into the country legally right? Arg Im so nervous about this.

Do you think they will want to see my passport if I list it as the number? Some sites say you do not need to show your ssn/card, so maybe it's the same with passports..I don't know.

Ask the county clerk's office what ID they accept, and whether you would have to show your passport.

Have you tried contacting your home country's embassy about renewing your passport? Depending on where you live, you may have to travel some, but it would be well worth the trip. Or sometimes an official will travel to smaller cities a few times a year to help with passport renewals....Also, check the website for local county in Florida..usually they have details on what they require and also FAQ's...It is probably worth the gamble to show them the passport and hope they dont notice the expriation date. Good luck!

1. Sponsored Links