Exclamation Quitting Part Time Work While Collecting Unemployment

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: California

Hello,
    I recently picked up a part time job and have worked for the last 4 days totaling 15hours. The job that I was given was not what was described when i went to the interview. I wanted to learn something new and thought i would try part time.
    Only thing is if i quit do i lose my UI benefits?
    I am currently receiving the max amount for the state of California. I am willing and able to work, just this job was not what was described and they do not give breaks or lunches.
    I am also working with harsh chemicals and the drive is far.
    I dont want to lose my benefits because of rent/bills/ect, but I am still looking for work.

My question is, is there a way i can quit/be fired from the position and still claim the same amount on UI?
    I feel that this was a huge mistake after reading some other peoples postings in other states.
    Thank you!

Default Re: Quitting Part Time Work While Collecting Unemployment

Quitting is a really, really, really good way to get your UI benefits cancelled. UI is for those who are unemployed through no fault of their own; if you quit that's no one's fault but your own. "The job is not what they described" is rarely if ever a qualifying reason to quit and get benefits. You knew what the drive was going to be when you started. If you're not getting the breaks required by state law, the response to that is to report it to the state DOL, not to quit your job.

Sorry, but I can't see you continuing to collect benefits if you quit in this situation.

Default Re: Quitting Part Time Work While Collecting Unemployment

I don't know the laws in other states....best thing is to take that handbook they give you and read every page....

Michigan actually has it where: You're on U.I. You take a job. You can quit within 60 days and go back on U.I. in certain circumstances.

A couple examples are:

- It is a field in which you have never worked in previously.
    - It is a significant drive to work compared to your old job (50+ miles from older job site).
    - The job was not as described...

The employer can protest, and it can drag on in court for a while. You may collect benefits, but if the new employer wins the case, you would have to pay back the benefits.

You need proof of everything....the job listing, description, etc.

It may go to court (mine did, I won all 3 rounds, the employer quit the challenge when it would have cost them $1000 to file another appeal). And believe me, 6-9 months of hearings, appeals, advocate lawyers, judges, etc really does wear you down.

1. Sponsored Links