Question Anonymous Cash Deposit in New York

An acquaintance of mine recently learned that $10,000 in cash ($100 bills) had been deposited into his checking account (in his wife's name) anonymously. He was wondering if there was any legal ramifications to spending the money, potential fraud scenario we may not be aware of or if there was a stated timeframe that must pass before the money can be used?

Default Re: Anonymous cash deposit in New York

How does he know it was a deposit in the form of $100 bills? How do you deposit money in somebody's name to a joint account - you mean, using one of her deposit slips? If so, how did somebody get one of her deposit slips?

The bank will have reported the deposit to the IRS, which in turn may investigate the source of the money and whether taxes were paid on the money. If this is money from illegal activities, there could be an investigation into whether this is part of a money laundering scheme.

You call it anonymous - am I wrong, though, that they know exactly where it came from?

He was informed by the branch manager, from a branch not used by them or convenient to get to, who relayed all the details of the transaction. The money was put on hold by the bank while they conducted some sort of internal investigation. It was a blank deposit slip with acct number and name filled in by the despositor. The chain of facts justs seems very shady. He would rather distance himself from the whole mess, but the bank is insisting that after their initial investigation they can find nothing amiss. They realize that taxes would have to be paid, but was wondering if anyone had heard of anything like this?

I had a client who claimed that somebody made mysterious deposits into his bank account. At the end of the case, he admitted that he made the deposits himself.

I still think they know exactly where the money came from.

Come on Aaron. Hasn't anybody ever anonymously deposited $10k into your bank account. I figured this happens to everybody. I got mine 2 years ago. I think it is Mr Gates being philanthropic.

I would doubt there are any legal ramifications but there may be some other strings attached. If it were me, I would seperate it into another account so when "the owner" comes to collect, you still have it.

+1 JK.

OP, I wouldn't spend it. When they get it figured out, they will come calling for the money. If your acquaintance doesn't have it, you will get sued.

now that I revisit this thread I had an idea.

What if the wife "earned" the money and the payor simply was directed to deposit the money directly into her account.

1. Sponsored Links