Question Emancipation in Washington for a teen who doesn't live with legal guardian.

I am sixteen years old (Seventeen in December), my parents divorced when I was five years old, after custody battles for years and years, my mother was granted full custody of me. When she started beating me and using drugs I moved in with my father. When I moved in it went from one extreme to the other, I am surrounded by constant stress and emotional abuse, but no physical abuse. Just recently he has started threatening to hit me and calling me names. My sister-in-law is preparing to divorce my stepbrother and wants to take me with her, because she has been living here for the past month or so, and knows about my living conditions. I have the forms to be emancipated, and I just recently got a job, I get very good grades, I'm in honors classes, and many of my teachers tell me that I am mature far beyond my years. I was wondering if I would have to go through both my mother and my father, even though my father doesn't have custody of me. My mother is currently a drug addict who cannot even support herself, and I know that if my request for emancipation gets denied my living conditions will get ten times worse, so I am very worried about moving on with the whole process.

Also -- I am engaged to a twenty-one year old (My father knows nothing about it). We have been together for well over two years -- and I heard somewhere that proof of long-term relationships is helpful for the emancipation process. Is this true?

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Emancipation in Washington for a teen who doesn't live with legal guardian.

Washington emancipation law provides:
    Quote Quoting RCW 13.64.050 - Emancipation decree — Certified copy — Notation of emancipated status.
    (1) The court shall grant the petition for emancipation, except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, if the petitioner proves the following facts by clear and convincing evidence: (a) That the petitioner is sixteen years of age or older; (b) that the petitioner is a resident of the state; (c) that the petitioner has the ability to manage his or her financial affairs; and (d) that the petitioner has the ability to manage his or her personal, social, educational, and nonfinancial affairs.

(2) A parent, guardian, custodian, or in the case of a dependent minor, the department, may oppose the petition for emancipation. The court shall deny the petition unless it finds, by clear and convincing evidence, that denial of the grant of emancipation would be detrimental to the interests of the minor.

(3) Upon entry of a decree of emancipation by the court the petitioner shall be given a certified copy of the decree. The decree shall instruct the petitioner to obtain a Washington driver's license or a Washington identification card and direct the department of licensing make a notation of the emancipated status on the license or identification card.
    I doubt that a judge would look favorably upon your emancipation petition if he thought your primary goal was to be able to move in with your adult boyfriend.

Default Re: Emancipation in Washington for a teen who doesn't live with legal guardian.

But I have no intentions on moving in with him.

I intend to move in with a relative.

1. Sponsored Links