Default Copyright of Religious Icons

Are religious icons of Orthodox Christian saints copyrighted? We contend that these images belong to the whole Church and cannot be copyrighted. But what is the law on this? Sometimes when I click onto an icon it will say "all rights reserved." I don't believe these icons should be copyrighted. But there is a difference between what is right, and what the laws of the land say.

Default Re: Photos on the Internet

Quote Quoting freedomroad7777
    View Post
    Are religious icons of Orthodox Christian saints copyrighted? We contend that these images belong to the whole Church and cannot be copyrighted. But what is the law on this? Sometimes when I click onto an icon it will say "all rights reserved." I don't believe these icons should be copyrighted. But there is a difference between what is right, and what the laws of the land say.
    Explain what you mean by "religious icons". If you are referring to the actual person then no, there are no copyrights involved (after all, they are people, not works of art) and even if there was, time has since removed them long ago.

If you are speaking to some specific work of art, you would be wrong. The Church is a private entity and as such, has the same rights as any other private entity in this matter.

It sounds like the copyright you are seeing would be on the artwork.

1. Sponsored Links