Default What Constitues "Hot" Water in California

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Hemet, California

Hi, We entered a rental agreement with an apartment complex in the beginning of august. We did our inspection, but did not think to check our hot water. Well, we tried to use hot water, and it takes between 3-5 minutes of constant running on hot wide open to become lukewarm (maybe 90f at most). I looked in the pamphlet that FEHC has, but it doesn't outline any specific temperatures that constitute "hot" water, or how long it should take to become "hot". Looking around, I found the NYC Guidelines and it shows 120 degrees constantly.

Does anyone know if there is a set temperature or what it is? And if there is, could you cite the code? Also, what options do I have in getting them to repair it? Right now, we have to boil water to have it hot enough to wash our dishes.

Thanks for the help.

Default Re: What Constitues "Hot" Water in California

Some municipalities set a minimum temperature by ordinance - e.g., Berkeley sets a minimum of 110 F. I don't see that Hemet's code sets a minimum temperature. Try contacting the local government agency responsible for inspecting rental housing and see what temperature they have deemed reasonable, and what action they may be able to take to have the problem corrected.

1. Sponsored Links