Default Sexual Relationship Between a Public School Employee and Adult Student

My question involves criminal law for the state of: California

Taking out the ethical question...is it illegal for a school employee to be involved with a student who is 18 years old or older?

Default Re: Sexual Relationship Between a Public School Employee and Adult Student

Yes it is illegal.

Default Re: Sexual Relationship Between a Public School Employee and Adult Student

No. Is it wise? No. Illegal? No.

If the relationship is discovered, the school employee could be terminated from his/her job.

Quote Quoting clarifyplease
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: California

Taking out the ethical question...is it illegal for a school employee to be involved with a student who is 18 years old or older?
    That depends ... what is the job function of the "school employee?"

What is the nature of the "relationship" between the two of them?

This might not be illegal, but it is likely a violation of policy.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Again, taking out the ethical question...I am simply trying to find out if there is a law that prohibits a sexual act between a student that is 18 or older with someone like a swim coach or other employee that is NOT a certified teacher. I am doing some research on states that do not consider this a legal act.

Quote Quoting clarifyplease
    View Post
    Again, taking out the ethical question...I am simply trying to find out if there is a law that prohibits a sexual act between a student that is 18 or older with someone like a swim coach or other employee that is NOT a certified teacher. I am doing some research on states that do not consider this a legal act.
    That will depend on a number of factors.

Provided the employee and the adult student both agree that the relationship is consensual, then it is not a criminal act. It will almost certainly be a violation of policy and result in the termination of the employee, but would not generally be criminal. However, the employee leaves themselves wide open to claims of duress when the relationship goes south and could then face some serious criminal charges.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links