Default How to Sell Life Estate Property

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Texas. My Mom is in the nursing home in Texas. In2001 she made me a warranty deed reserving a life estate for her never dreaming she would get alzimers. For the past three years I have been paying taxes, insurance and utilities on the property while it sits vacant. The house is being vandalized and deterioting rapidly. I have 1 sibling who helps zero with my Mom.In 1963 a will was made to me and my sibling but since then my Mom put the houe house in my name because she said my sister was never going to help take care of her and she was absolutely right. Myquestion is since I have power of attorney can I sell the house without sharing the sale of the house with her? I am on total disability and my savings are almost gone. Medicaid has said they will not disqualify her from medicaid because I am on total disability and am having to sell far below appraised value because of deterioting value.

Default Re: How to Sell Life Estate Property

I don't know the terms of your POA, so I'm not in a position to tell you if it authorizes you to engage in real estate transactions. If it does, you may still run into resistance; people don't have to accept a POA. If it does not, you will need to get a conservatorship / guardianship of the estate in order to conduct financial transactions on behalf of a legally incapacitated person.

1. Sponsored Links