Default What Happens if a Licensed Driver is Stopped While Only Carrying State ID Card

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: California

Fortunately this is a pre-emptive question. I'm absent-minded, and when I walk in the door my wallet with license often ends up somewhere. If I have to run a quick errand close-by, I'm often frustrated by having to spend a lot of time finding the wallet before I can leave. Other than driving, my license is usually only necessary for credit card purchases.

Now, I also have a valid CA ID, with the same number/info as the DL. The obvious option is to leave the DL permanently in the one car I drive 90%+ of the time, and carry the ID in my wallet. I'm wondering if I can do the reverse: keep the ID in the car, and DL in my wallet.

If I'm stopped and don't have my wallet/DL, will the ID be sufficient for the officer to verify identity? I'm assuming I will get cited for VC 12951...(a) or (b)? Would pulling the ID out of the glove box or other location be considered "persistent neglect" according to VC 40610(b) and therefore make the citation non-correctable? I know it's theoretically possible, but in practice, given a valid CA ID, would a cop choose to impound the car?

Finally, let's also assume that the reason for the stop is a one-point moving violation (speeding, red-light, etc.) which I'm also cited for. Can the fix-it part (VC 12951) be taken care of separately from the mover? By that, I mean take care of the fix-it while the mover may go through extension/TBD/TDN.

Thanks!

Default Re: What Happens if a Licensed Driver is Stopped While Only Carrying State ID Card

A State ID card is not a driver's license, so if you are stopped while carrying only a State ID card you can be cited for not carrying your driver's license as required by law.

Default Re: What Happens if a Licensed Driver is Stopped While Only Carrying State ID Card

Why not just have a designated spot to put your other wallet (why carry 2 but that's your choice) and always put it there. No searching required. Even absent minded people can master that simple of a task.

Quote Quoting quirkyquark
    View Post
    Finally, let's also assume that the reason for the stop is a one-point moving violation (speeding, red-light, etc.) which I'm also cited for. Can the fix-it part (VC 12951) be taken care of separately from the mover? By that, I mean take care of the fix-it while the mover may go through extension/TBD/TDN.
    Not sure what difference it would make...

The case is referenced by citation number not by each individual violation. You can in fact submit proof of correction for the 12951/pay the correction fee while your moving violation is pending/waiting for a TBD/TDN, but the case will remain open until both violation are taken care of.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    Why not just have a designated spot to put your other wallet (why carry 2 but that's your choice) and always put it there. No searching required. Even absent minded people can master that simple of a task.
    What would the other wallet carry? I can't have a duplicate license (by law).

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    The case is referenced by citation number not by each individual violation. You can in fact submit proof of correction for the 12951/pay the correction fee while your moving violation is pending/waiting for a TBD/TDN, but the case will remain open until both violation are taken care of.
    Thanks!

quirky is an apt moniker ... looking at your previous postings ... the OP must love going to court.

Good luck on this one quirky .

1. Sponsored Links