Default Hepatitis from a blood transfusion

In 1985 I was shoot in a hunting accident followed by many operation,blood transfusion and the loss of my leg.During my 3 month stay the doctor came in and said that I had gotten hepatitis from the blood transfusions yet later on they told my parents that it was all gone or had been resolved. The word hepatitis was never mention again from the doctors or any of my follow up visits.I just found out in 8/05 that I had hepatitis-c and liver damage from it.If my medical records show that they diagnosed me in having hepatitis and then said it was all gone when in fact it was not gone. In all these years they did not tell me what it was or what to do about it. And now it may be to late. Do I have a case in this matter?

Default Re: Hepatitis from blood transfusion

Quote Quoting matt266
    In 1985 I was shoot in a hunting accident followed by many operation,blood transfusion and the loss of my leg.During my 3 month stay the doctor came in and said that I had gotten hepatitis from the blood transfusions yet later on they told my parents that it was all gone or had been resolved. The word hepatitis was never mention again from the doctors or any of my follow up visits.I just found out in 8/05 that I had hepatitis-c and liver damage from it.If my medical records show that they diagnosed me in having hepatitis and then said it was all gone when in fact it was not gone. In all these years they did not tell me what it was or what to do about it. And now it may be to late. Do I have a case in this matter?
    Do you actually have copies of your medical records from over 20 years ago? Consult a med mal attorney, it sould be a difficult case to pursue given the time lapse without clear evidence. Hep-C would have been difficult to diagnose 20 years ago and any number of lifestyle issues might also result in Hep c inthe mean time. It would be wise for you to be tested to Alpha-1- Antitrypsin deficiency, this is a genetic deficiency that can also result in liver troubles, ask for the genetic test, not the serum test, you can get this test free through the alpha 1 foundation.

When you're looking at your records, as I recall, Hepatitis Type C would be called "Non-A, Non-B Hepatitis" back in the mid 1980's.

Quote Quoting aaron
    When you're looking at your records, as I recall, Hepatitis Type C would be called "Non-A, Non-B Hepatitis" back in the mid 1980's.
    Correct and that could lead to a misunderstanding that he didn't have Hepatitiis. Also OP's age and where they received treatment would make a difference as to whether or not the medical records are available, when they discovered they had Hep-C or if they would still have a case with rrgard to the statute of limitations.

Default Re: Hepatitis from a blood transfusion

Many people have Hep-C and got it from transfusions especially in battle. C Everett Coop said it would be the plague of the next Century. There are a few tests that measure viral load and have gotten better since the early 90's. Unless you were treated for it with interferon it probably was there all along and has now just caused more liver damage. They may have just been testing you're liver enzymes, saw that they were high then went down but this too is normal with Hep-C. Treatment is available and it has odds on working so whatever you do don't ignore it.

But please remember having it and proving where you got it are two different things.

BTW; Treatment has gotten better in the past few years.

Default Re: Hepatitis from a blood transfusion

I know very little about hepatitis except for what happened within my own family.

My father contracted a rare form of Hep C in the mid 1960's when he was working for a six week period at a medical mission in a third world country. He was more or less asymptomatic for over a decade, but by that time the disease had gotten a good hold. He and his doctors believed (by the way, my father is a doctor too) that he had contracted the disease in the 70's when he was working at a mission in a different third world country. It was not until the mid to late 1990's that medical knowledge of the various forms of Hepatitis was sufficient to identify the particular form of the disease and they realized how long he had had it.

For the record, my father was on the staff of and was being treated by a major teaching hospital affiliated with an Ivy League school and had access to the most up to date treatment and care available anywhere. In the mid 80's they simply did not have the knowledge that they have now.

1. Sponsored Links