Question Social Security Quarters for Contract Work

Hi,

I am a school teacher getting ready to retire. Because of the state I am in, I do not pay into the social security system. As a second job, I am an aerobics instructor. This work is considered contract labor....no money is taken out for social security purposes....but I do report it at the end of the year when filing my tax return. I have been doing this now for many years and the income ranges anywhere from $2000 - $4000 per year.

My question is: Can I get soc. sec. quarters/credit for the aerobics job? And if so, how would I go about it?

Any info will truly be appreciated, especially since I currently have only 26 quarters/credits and I would like to have 40.

Again, thanks in advance for your help!

Default Re: Social Security Quarters for Contract Work

If you are reporting it as self-employment income and you have a Schedule C and a Schedule SE, you will see that you are paying Social Security taxes and earning quarters like all other self-employed people. $2000 in 2011 is enough for one credit.

When it comes time for retirement, if you do have 40 quarters, you can qualify for a Social Security benefit, but the computation of your retirement check will be computed under WEP because you have a non-covered pension, the Windfall Elimination Provision, and your monthly benefit will be less than another person with an identical earnings record who does not have a non-covered pension.

Post Re: Social Security Quarters for Contract Work

Thanks for your help. Yes, I do file a schedule C, but not sure on the SE form. Anyway, just trying to cover all my bases with social security.

Quote Quoting Janke
    View Post
    If you are reporting it as self-employment income and you have a Schedule C and a Schedule SE, you will see that you are paying Social Security taxes and earning quarters like all other self-employed people. $2000 in 2011 is enough for one credit.
    So it's not the $1,120 like working for someone else and IS higher?
    http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/credits1.htm

I didn't look up the 2011 amount. Thanks for doing so.

$2000 in earnings in 2011 would be enough for one credit since you need to earn at least $1120. A person would have to earn $2240 for 2 credits and $4480 for the maximum number of four.

1. Sponsored Links