Post Expungement in California

I would like some information on getting my record sealed so that I might be able to get hired without people looking at me like I have the plauge for something I did 20 years ago. I mean, how long does a person have to pay for their crime? People do change and I just think its terrible that some people will never let you forget it!

Default Re: Expungement in California

You can probably find the information you need on the California Courts self-help center website.
    Quote Quoting California Expungement
    Are You Eligible for a Dismissal?

1. If you were given probation, you have either completed it or obtained early release. If you violated your probation and it was either reinstated or revoked, then the court has discretion whether or not to grant you a dismissal.

2. If you were not given probation, it has been at least one year since the date of conviction.

3. You have paid all fines, restitution and reimbursement ordered by the court as part of your sentence.

4. You are not currently under arraignment for a new criminal offense (charges pending), nor are you on probation for another offense.

What Will a Dismissal Do?

Once all of your convictions have been dismissed:

1. On questions by Private Employers if you are asked if you have every been convicted of a crime, you must respond with "YES-CONVICTION DISMISSED."

2. On questions by Government Employers or Government Licensing Applications if you are asked if you have ever been convicted of a crime, you MUST respond with "YES-CONVICTION DISMISSED." In California, government employers and licensing agencies (except for police agencies and concessionaire licensing boards), will treat you the same as if you had never been convicted of any crime.

3. You will not be allowed to own or possess a firearm until you would otherwise be able to do so.

4. Your dismissed conviction(s) can still be used to increase your punishment in future criminal cases.

5. Your prior conviction(s) can still affect your driving privileges.

6. If you have been required to register as a sex offender as a result of a conviction, you have to make a different motion to the court in order to be relieved of this requirement. A dismissal will not relieve you of your duty to register as a sex offender.

1. Sponsored Links