Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Benefit Year Expired 2 Months After I Opened Approved Claim

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: TN

I opened a claim around 8/2010 and it was denied because of attendance.

Worked for 2 months and got laid off june 4th 2011 and I opened another claim and it got approved.

Now 2 months later its saying my benefit year has ended and I need to call in.

When i view my claim info online it said my last separation date was the date of 8/2010 which was my 2nd to last job when the claim got denied and not june 4th 2011

Also it says my benefit year ends in 8/22/2010

Is this wrong based off the info i gave you? Shouldnt my benefit year end june 4 2010 , 1 year from the last time i filled a claim on june 4 2011?

Also shouldnt my most recent separation date show june 4th 2011 and not 8/2010?

I'm thinking my claim got screwed up in the system somehow since my most recent separation date shows 8/2010 and not 6/2011 when I filed the claim...Which is causing my benefit year to end 8/2011 when it should be 6/2012..

am i correct?

Notes:
    filed claim 8/2010 and denied due attendance
    Filed claim 6-2011 when laid off from new job

Info online shows:
    benefit year says end 8/2010
    most recent separation date shows 8/2010 and not june/2011
    Benefit year ended because of the mix up?? Benefit year should end 6/2012 1 year from when i filed last claim

Default Re: Benefit Year Expired 2 Months After I Opened Approved Claim

Once you open a claim, it is for a 1 year period. You were initially denied on the 8/10 claim but you regained approval by working some specified time. Your claim on jun/2011 was not a new claim but a review and redetermination of the 8-2010 claim. As such, your benefit year ended in 8/2011. You would then have to file a new claim and have it reviewed for eligibility.

Your work in Jun/2011 will show up when you file a new claim.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    Once you open a claim, it is for a 1 year period. You were initially denied on the 8/10 claim but you regained approval by working some specified time. Your claim on jun/2011 was not a new claim but a review and redetermination of the 8-2010 claim. As such, your benefit year ended in 8/2011. You would then have to file a new claim and have it reviewed for eligibility.

Your work in Jun/2011 will show up when you file a new claim.
    Thanks

I was denied and claim closed out 8/2010 because i was for for attendance. I didnt regain approval by working some time. I had a different job that i worked for a few months then got laid off, then opened a new claim in regards to that job 1 year later

No, your claim was not closed. You were denied benefits based on the facts on hand. Once you file, your benefit year is set. Your claim can be reviewed, as it was in your case but your benefit year remains set starting when you first filed the claim. It doesn't matter if the earnings were from the same job or a different job. What matters is you earned enough for the claim to then be approved.

Thanks again.

But what Im saying is I earned enough the first time I filed for it to be approved but it was approved because attendance issues. So i don't thinking earning enough have to do with it fully but somewhat. Because when i filed in June they said i earned enough in base period and then I got a letter saying it was approved because my latest job DID NOT reply back thus making my claim approved. but I see what your saying in which they reopen the claim since it was in same year.

Also why does it says my most recent separation date is 8/2010 (first job) and not 6/2011 which was my last job that i filed the claim on the 2nd time??

Now my question is I have to call tomorrow. What will happen? I heard they will open new claim and deny it and continue on my old claim. I have not worked since I refiled on june 4th 2011

I understand what you are saying. What I am saying is:

you were initially disqualified. In many situations where a person is disqualified, you can repair the issue either by earning a certain amount of money or simply waiting out a penalty period.

as to the latest employer not being listed: could be several issues. I suspect it is either because your earnings have not been recorded by them yet OR the earnings are not within the qualifying period of your current benefit year.

They should not open a new claim because you are still under your original benefit year. That is all set in stone as far as your earnings go. Now, once your benefit year expires (end of this month) you should be able to file a brand new claim and your benefits will be determined by your earnings in the base period for this new benefit year.

whether you will be denied for the remainder of this benefit year is based on their rules. Often times you can earn back your qualification by either earning some specified amount of money or simply not being paid UI for some specified period of time. Due to that, I do not know if they will deny you or not for the remainder of this benefit year.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    I understand what you are saying. What I am saying is:

you were initially disqualified. In many situations where a person is disqualified, you can repair the issue either by earning a certain amount of money or simply waiting out a penalty period.
    NO I was NOT disqualified. That is what I have been trying to say. I was not approved for benefits because my job fired me because of attendance. It had nothing to do with being disqualified because of earnings. I made more then enough.

as to the latest employer not being listed: could be several issues. I suspect it is either because your earnings have not been recorded by them yet OR the earnings are not within the qualifying period of your current benefit year.

The agent took my earnings from my last job. Thats what made me get it because she had me send in my check stubs and it had to be xxx amount to qualify on 6/4/2011

They should not open a new claim because you are still under your original benefit year. That is all set in stone as far as your earnings go. Now, once your benefit year expires (end of this month) you should be able to file a brand new claim and your benefits will be determined by your earnings in the base period for this new benefit year.
    My benefit year has expired 2 days ago. It expired exactly 2 1/2 months after I reapplied my claim 6/4/2011

whether you will be denied for the remainder of this benefit year is based on their rules. Often times you can earn back your qualification by either earning some specified amount of money or simply not being paid UI for some specified period of time. Due to that, I do not know if they will deny you or not for the remainder of this benefit year.

10char......................

Yes, you were dq'd. That is why you did not receive benefits the first time. While you fulfilled the income requirements, you were disqualified due to being fired for cause. I never said you were dq'd for a lack of earnings. It was because your termination from employment.

apparently to requalify you had to earn a specific amount prior to being eligible again. That would fit in with the request for your check stubs.

so, your benefit year expired 2 days ago. That means they will calculate a new claim with a new base period. When that is filed your latest earnings will be shown on income for your base period.

I see now thanks.

so my last earnings in benefit year was only like $2300k that was around 4-2011 to 6-2011

Will my weekly benefit amount decease or because of lack of earnings will they continue with old claim?

I don't know if there are still federal extensions available. If so, they could continue the old claim using the federal extensions. If not, it would be based solely on the new claim and based on your earnings, you may not qualify for UI. Offhand I do not know the income requirements but that seems quite low.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast