Default Title of Vehicle Signed and Notorized in My Name, but Seller Obtained Duplicate Title

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Ohio

I purchased a vehicle from a private seller off Craigslist a month or so ago. Both the seller and my myself went to the title bureau and had the our signatures and information notorized in the buyer/seller section on the back of the title by a notary at the facility, and after doing so, I proceeded to the BMV to get a 30 day temporary tag. At the end of the 30 day period, I proceeded to the title bureau to pay the tax on the vehicle to have my name transfered to the front of the title so I can obtain permanent plates for my vehicle. I am notified by the representative that 2 days after I purchased the car, the seller obtained a duplicate title deeming the original title notorized in my name invalid. The representative immediately took my title, handed me a photo copy of the document, and informed me that I would have to track down the seller to have him sign the duplicate over.

After a week of searching for the seller I have had little success. His residence is vacated, as well as the business that he mentioned to we as we were standing in line at the title bureau, and he will not answer his phone when I call nor return my messages. I have been trying to figure out why the seller would get a duplicate title for a vehicle that he had sold just a few days earlier. The car has been in my possesion since I bought it, I don't know the seller outside of the brief craigslist transaction, and I have had no coorespondence with the seller since the day of purchase. Maybe he was arrested and used it for bond collateral?

Regardless of his intentions, the car was purchased in cash and the title was signed over to me. What are my options at this point?

Default Re: Title of Vehicle Signed and Notorized in My Name, but Seller Obtains Duplicate Ti

A couple of possibilities come to mind: You can sue him. You can file a police report and see if the police will act. You or others may be able to think of other options.

1. Sponsored Links