Default How to Find a Good Criminal Defense Lawyer

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Texas

I hope I am not violating forum rules by asking this question.

My 19 year old grandson is in Harris County jail with only a court appointed attorney. He needs a good experienced criminal defense attorney-hearing is Aug 31. He was serving two probations one for drug abuse and the other for misdemeanor assualt when last Friday he was arrested for shoplifting, charged with $50-$500 misdemeanor. I may be accused of being blind or biased but he is a good kid with lots of potential but needs make a big change. There is a family member who will be paying for the attorney.
    How do I find and choose such an attorney?

Default Re: Criminal Defense Attorney for Grandson-19 Years

We do not provide attorney referrals.

Further, most attorneys that would offer their services to you on the basis of a post on an internet board (and we get a few here) are really just bottom feeders. Not saying that any that contact you are, but the possiblity remains.

Default Re: How to Find a Good Criminal Defense Lawyer

Default Re: How to Find a Good Criminal Defense Lawyer

no1texan I am sorry for your grandson's trouble. I have been practicing in TN for about 12 years and can state with confidence that reputations are hard earned and advertising is easily purchased. You can easily look online for attorneys in your area and find an attorney in almost any price range. Despicably, your grandson will probably even receive letters of solicitation at the address he used at the time of his arrest. Run from these attorneys and their seemingly bargain rates. Use your community involvement and ask people that you respect who are in fields that often deal with the courts and attorneys. (ie Church Leaders, Law Enforcement, Court Clerks, maybe his bail bonding company if he ever made bail) Select an attorney who practices primarily in that courthouse and who has a good rapport with that particular judge. Don't be afraid to ask what the potential attorney's advice would be with regard to a long term solution to the young man's self destructive tendencies. As he will likely be required to serve some time, find out what is available in the jail to aid him once he is released. (GED Classes, Drug and Alcohol Counseling, Grief Counseling, Bible Study, Parenting Skills, Anger Management or even various Occupational Training Courses) A good lawyer will be able to explain these. A shyster will probably not be able to help in this regard and will likely not warn you that jail time is a likely consequence. I hope this helps. Good luck with your grandson.

1. Sponsored Links