Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is There a Time Limit on Extradition of Interstate Fugitives

My question involves criminal law for the state of: california

My son received deployment orders for Iraq. His father came to visit in KY from Cali before our son deployed .... while he was here visiting he was arrested for a warrant (17 year old returned check) .... that has been taken care of ... it has been 12 days since ky has been finished with him ... and 34 days since he was arrested .... cali has a hold on him for parole violation (obsconding) ... he signed extradition papers the day he was arrested .... how long do they have to pick him up from ky as we have been informed he will probably receive cop (continue on parole) since the charge he was arrested for was 17 years old ... so, how long does cali have to pick him up ??? is there anyway to stop the transfer/violation?? will hiring a lawyer do any justice as he will be moving to ky upon his release (with the proper transfer ... not just to visit without a travel permit.... i could choke him as i knew nothing about this parole when he came to ky .... amazing what you learn !!) ....

Default Re: Is There a Time Limit on Extradition of Interstate Fugitives

There's no statute of limitations on enforcement of arrest warrants or on probation violation proceedings.

Are you stating that he had a criminal charge in Kentucky for the bad check, now resolved, and that he's been detained for 12 days since the resolution of that check for extradition to California, and that he's consented to extradition?

yes ... on june 22nd he signed extradition papers in ky to return to cali ... his checks in ky were resolved on july 13th ... and he is still waiting today for transport to pick him up to return to cali ... i was told ky can hold him for up to 90 days ... i find that hard to believe ... but it seems to be true ... i did just find he's been scheduled for a review (don't know review of what other than possibly this extradition) for august 10th in district court ....

@ Mr. Knowitall .... do you have any info at all on this situation?? i see from your profile you are from Cali ... This coming Wednesday is the review in District Court ... If the judge releases him from KY holding him for Cali then what do we/he do next?? I can not affort $1000 for a round trip to Cali just to sign paperwork to have his parole transferred here .... or to take him back to Cali for them to turn around and arrest him ... then i have to do a 37 hour drive back to KY by myself ??? realistically: NOT .... do i go to a lawyer ?? i really don't know what to do ... but want to make sure i do nothing wrong that could get myself in trouble ... how can i find out if cali has an arrest warrant for him ?? i search the county online website that lists warrants ... and find nothing ... is parole violation an actual warrant for arrest ?? or is it a technicality as i've been told is what the obsconding is ... that theres no actual criminal charge for obsconding only a technical violation ... please ... if you know anything on this subject .. please advise ... i'm worried and nerveous !!!

SO.... the update to all of this ..... YES ... california will extradite 2300 miles for a drug charge $30 work of dope ... LOL ... not murder/terrorist/child hurter/ .... but stupid ... minor ... drug charges ..... OK ... that being said ... looks like ab109 will bring his parole to an end .... so the next question ... how much did $30 worth of dope cost the state of KY and the state of CA .... with the economic downfall ... is there really any wonder why our country and every state and county is broke??? all because this man was determined to see his son before his son deployed to IRAQ ... and we are all in agreeance ... we would do it again .... in 2 weeks my husband will be home ... and in 15 months my son WILL COME HOME from Iraq ... and after 17+ long years ... the 3 of us will be a family ... THANK YOU FATHER, THANK YOU LORD, THANK YOU JESUS .... AMEN

Quote Quoting caliextraditioninfo
    View Post
    SO.... the update to all of this ..... YES ... california will extradite 2300 miles for a drug charge $30 work of dope ... LOL ... not murder/terrorist/child hurter/ .... but stupid ... minor ... drug charges ..... OK ... that being said ... looks like ab109 will bring his parole to an end .... so the next question ... how much did $30 worth of dope cost the state of KY and the state of CA .... with the economic downfall ... is there really any wonder why our country and every state and county is broke??? all because this man was determined to see his son before his son deployed to IRAQ ... and we are all in agreeance ... we would do it again .... in 2 weeks my husband will be home ... and in 15 months my son WILL COME HOME from Iraq ... and after 17+ long years ... the 3 of us will be a family ... THANK YOU FATHER, THANK YOU LORD, THANK YOU JESUS .... AMEN
    I am honestly happy you see a positive ending. But when you think about it, $30 of dope is petty. The aftermath is not. Coming from the mouth of a son of a drug addicted father who has two Masters degrees and was a war vet with a wife and two kids, who now has a felony, can't find a job, and has struggled to put his life back on track... I forgot, what was your rhetorical question?

I'm glad you'd do it all over again.

i completely agree .... as my husband has been lost for years .. he blames being in the war for his prior drug use .... so after loosing his life "mental stability" to the war .. because he wanted to make a difference ... instead he's spent a life of hell trapped inside himself and the criminal system ... when he gets back to ky (after 17 years) ... he will get the help and have the life he so deserves ... (he too has 2 degrees going to waste for years) ... but not for much longer ...
    many prayers to you and your family ... as drug addiction is just that ... and addiction ... and locked up/caged up is not rehabilitation ......

View Post
    SO.... the update to all of this ..... YES ... california will extradite 2300 miles for a drug charge $30 work of dope ...
    No. They are extraditing a convicted felon who absconded on his parole. And he did not go to prison for a first offense on $30 worth of dope. If that is truly what you believe, then you have been sold a bill of goods. There is more to it than that.

LOL ... not murder/terrorist/child hurter/ .... but stupid ... minor ... drug charges ..... OK ... that being said ... looks like ab109 will bring his parole to an end
    Yeah ... great ... we in local law enforcement (police, sheriffs, probation, and corrections) are just so excited about this ill-conceived, largely unfunded realignment where multitudes of criminals will be returned to communities with fewer cops, fewer cells, fewer probation officers, and fewer jobs. Yeah, this is a great idea!

.... so the next question ... how much did $30 worth of dope cost the state of KY and the state of CA .... with the economic downfall ... is there really any wonder why our country and every state and county is broke???
    You're right. Ya know, maybe he should be made to pay for the costs of his incarceration and transport back to CA!
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    No. They are extraditing a convicted felon who absconded on his parole. And he did not go to prison for a first offense on $30 worth of dope. If that is truly what you believe, then you have been sold a bill of goods. There is more to it than that.

Yeah ... great ... we in local law enforcement (police, sheriffs, probation, and corrections) are just so excited about this ill-conceived, largely unfunded realignment where multitudes of criminals will be returned to communities with fewer cops, fewer cells, fewer probation officers, and fewer jobs. Yeah, this is a great idea!

You're right. Ya know, maybe he should be made to pay for the costs of his incarceration and transport back to CA!

DID YOU SERVE YOUR COUNTRY AND FIGHT FOR OUR FREEDOM?? OR DID YOU JUST GET A DEGREE OR LUCK INTO A JOB ... you don't know me or my husband so you can stop with your attacks .!!!! ... my father retired military ... 2 sisters serve in law ... 1 neice in law ... 1 SON IN IRAQ !!!! ... tried military but blew out my knee (cried more then than ever in my life) .... i'm a 60+ hour week tax paying citizen .... NOW MY HUSBAND WILL GET OUT AND COME HOME AFTER 17 YEARS AND GET A LIFE AFTER WAR ... YOU KNOW FIGHTING FOR YOUR FREEDOM AS WELL AS MINE ... GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU ATTACK !!!!

[QUOTE=caliextraditioninfo;546125]DID YOU SERVE YOUR COUNTRY AND FIGHT FOR OUR FREEDOM?? OR DID YOU JUST GET A DEGREE OR LUCK INTO A JOB ... you don't know me or my husband so you can stop with your attacks .!!!! ... my father retired military ... 2 sisters serve in law ... 1 neice in law ... 1 SON IN IRAQ !!!! ... tried military but blew out my knee (cried more then than ever in my life) .... i'm a 60+ hour week tax paying citizen .... NOW MY HUSBAND WILL GET OUT AND COME HOME AFTER 17 YEARS AND GET A LIFE AFTER WAR ... YOU KNOW FIGHTING FOR YOUR FREEDOM AS WELL AS MINE ... GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU ATTACK !!!![/QUOTE

not to mention ... if you read all threads ... i would never hide him ... i wanted to know what to do if cali didn't show up ... as it is they were late!!! look at your pick up date ... today is not august 9th .... read my post ..... concerned and worried about what we do if cali didn't do their job .... come on ... you are too judgemental ... i wish you knew all the cops/agents/feds that sit in my chair !!! they will tell you i am one of the most honest ... trusting people you will ever meet ... i say it how it is !!! if you hate your job ... change it ... be AMERICAN !!!! NOT SO DAMNED ANTI

View Post
    DID YOU SERVE YOUR COUNTRY AND FIGHT FOR OUR FREEDOM?? OR DID YOU JUST GET A DEGREE OR LUCK INTO A JOB ...
    I do not seem to recall where military service exempted someone from obeying the law. Please point out to me the statute or Constitutional protections provided to veterans that exempt them from following the laws of this nation.

Whether I am a veteran or not is irrelevant to this discussion. Though I do find it offensive to argue that a special exemption should exist merely because he is a veteran. The vast majority of veterans do not break the law, commit felonies, and get sent to prison ... then abscond on parole.

you don't know me or my husband so you can stop with your attacks .!!!!
    I know the justice system, parole, criminals, etc. And what "attacks?" YOU said he absconded from parole. YOU said he was in prison for dope. YOU expressed concern that the state was paying for the costs of his criminal flight and I was merely agreeing with you that they should not be forced to pay the costs of his intentional actions. What did I say that you had not indicated prior to my post?

NOW MY HUSBAND WILL GET OUT AND COME HOME AFTER 17 YEARS AND GET A LIFE AFTER WAR ... YOU KNOW FIGHTING FOR YOUR FREEDOM AS WELL AS MINE ... GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU ATTACK !!!!
    Maybe this time he will obey the conditions of his parole.

And if I got the "facts" wrong, perhaps you should post them a little more clearly.

Oh, and do not get me started on family in public service or the military, I think I have you beat on that account. But, as I said, this issue has NOTHING to do with military service. None.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast