Default If Police Report Isn't Completely Filed Will Charges Get Dropped

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan

Person 1: Accused
    Person 2: Victim
    I am not either person in this but, Person 1 is my friend and I'm looking for information for him.

Person 1 assaulted person 2. Would that be considered a hate crime because person 1 hit person 2 because he was gay?

Also person 2 filed a police report but doesn't have person 1s name. Would the charges get dropped if they don't find out person 1s name?

Default Re: If Police Report Isn't Completely Filed Will Charges Get Dropped

Quote Quoting brogz
    View Post
    Person 1 assaulted person 2. Would that be considered a hate crime because person 1 hit person 2 because he was gay?
    It would not appear so.
    Quote Quoting brogz
    Also person 2 filed a police report but doesn't have person 1s name. Would the charges get dropped if they don't find out person 1s name?
    If the police don't know who the suspect is, the suspect hasn't been charged, meaning that there are no charges to be dropped.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    It would not appear so.

If the police don't know who the suspect is, the suspect hasn't been charged, meaning that there are no charges to be dropped.
    But, the police report has been filed. So if there isn't a suspect listed will it be dismissed after a certain amount of time.

If I am understanding your question right, the answer is no, it will not be dismissed. After a certain amount of time it might be placed in an inactive file, but it will not be dismissed.

1. Sponsored Links