Default Green Card for a Parent - AOS vs. Consular Processing (CP)

Hi
    My dad was here 4 months this year. Left to home country for 2 weeks ( family ceremony) and back here Aug first week. Would like to apply for his GC. Questions

1. How long does it take for Dad's GC (AOS/CP) ? I am based off of MA.

2. Should I apply for AOS or CP ? If I do AOS, can he travel back in Dec 2011?

3. His passport is expiring in Dec 2011. Should I renew his Passport before I apply for GC ?

4. His visitor visa is expiring May 2012. SHould I have to renew it before I do his GC ?

5. He will be returning back to India end of Dec 2011. If I apply his AOS/CP, Would this affect his trip anyway ? Can I apply for visitor visa after I apply for his GC ?

Please answer. Thank you for your time & help

Ninja

Default Re: Green Card for a Parent - AOS vs. Consular Processing (CP)

Read this.

If your father intends to apply from abroad, his only option is consular processing.

For time frames, see the Visa Bulletin.

From within the U.S., AOS is appealable; CP is in effect a final decision. So the prospect of denial may affect which option you choose. Also with AOS you can seek authorization to work, travel authorization, and don't incur travel costs. Other factors may be relevant, depending upon the full facts and circumstances. Somebody would not want to attempt to enter the U.S. as a tourist after seeking AOS.

Default Re: Green Card for a Parent - AOS vs. Consular Processing (CP)

Thank you for your time.
    If I apply for AOS, would he still be able to travel before Dec?
    Is the passport validity of 6months or more a necessity while applying for AOS? In that case, I might get the passport renewed by beginning Nov only. And if we apply for AOS after Nov, will he still be able to travel first week of Jan?
    Sorry if it is too much to answer. I need some input. Thank you for your time.

The bulletin shows 2004 as the cutoff date for India F1 category. Would he be in this category? I thought it would take 1-2yrs at max to get GC for Parents. If I apply for CP then, it looks like I am blocking him from entering US again in the next year. The intention isnt to work but to just spend the summer with family here and come in and go without much questions.
    Thanks

1. Sponsored Links