Default Can I Get Special Accommodation from Mandatory Speech Class Under Disability Acts

My question involves education law in the State of: Arkansas

So I suffer from social anxiety disorder, but while I've yet to be diagnosed (as I've never attempted to be). I am in high school right now and next year I will have to take a mandatory 1/2 credit of oral communications in order to get my high school diploma. The chances of passing this class with my disorder is slim to none. But I recently was made aware that I can receive special accommodation or even excusal from this class with a diagnosis or proof of social anxiety disorder. Can anyone offer me any information regarding this?

Thanks.

Default Re: Can I Get Special Accommodation from Mandatory Speech Class Under Disability Acts

Without a formal diagnosis from a physician, the school is not obligated to accommodate you.

Being nervous around people and social anxiety disorder is not the same thing, and you are not in a position to diagnose yourself.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Default Re: Can I Get Special Accommodation from Mandatory Speech Class Under Disability Acts

I realize a diagnosis is required. What I'm asking is what would they most likely do if I did get a diagnosis? Someone suggested that I might be exempt from the actual speeches and only be graded on my written work, others say I could do the speeches one-on-one with the teacher; some say they wont do anything. And I'm well aware of what SAD is, and I'm 95% sure if I wanted a diagnosis, I could get it. What I deal with walking through the halls at school compares to what normal people experience speaking in front of a multitude. I can't speak without stammering or hold things in public without dropping them from shaky hands. Never ending fear of being watched; unable to to make even so much as acquaintances. Hole in my stomach that hurts so bad I feel like I'm gonna throw up just buying something at a store. I think I'm in a position to diagnose myself.

There would be an assessment of your situation based upon the information your treaters provide to the school, and the school would make appropriate accommodation (if in fact any is needed).

Lots of kids with anxiety disorders give speeches.

It sounds like you would benefit from diagnosis and treatment, so get on it.

Funny how the thought of routine classroom activities make you nervous, while the thought of stealing does not.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Funny how the thought of routine classroom activities make you nervous, while the thought of stealing does not.
    The whole concept of shoplifting is not being noticed; what I do best, and what I feel most comfortable doing.

That's something else you might want to raise when you seek a diagnosis and treatment plan.

1. Sponsored Links