Default Second Speeding Ticket Within 18 Months -

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

Earlier today I got cited for a 22350 "UNSAFE SPEED" for "30-40" MPH in a "25" MPH zone. Sadly, this is the second ticket I've received in less than 18 months. It was on a 2 lane street and the comments on the weather/road/traffic conditions state "CLR" (clear, I assume). Something to add -- I received this ticket in Berkeley, CA by a University of California Police Department motorcyle officer.

By the looks of the speed approximation, the officer eyeball'd my speed; I also never saw him behind me, nor did I really ever see him (so I doubt he paced me since there is a "-" where the radar box is). Is this true?

I received my last ticket on May 16, 2010 -- so I am about 15 months into the 18 month period allowed for traffic school. How many times and when (twice before I submit a TBD, once beforefor a Trial de Novo?) can I ask for an extension? If the TBD doesn't work, I'm hoping I can stretch the time between my last ticket and the day I appear in court to just over 18 months so I'm granted traffic school that will take the points off my record. Otherwise, I've heard that it's up to the judge's discretion to allow a second visit to traffic school within 18 months, and even then, your rates still go up since the insurance company can see it.

I'm really trying to avoid points to my record -- if the TBD works, great, I've saved a lot of money, too. But, I really need some advice.

Please help!

Default Re: Second Speeding Ticket Within 18 Months -

You are allowed a single traffic school dismissal per 18 month period where the "18 month" time frame refers to the period between "violation dates", NOT "request dates"... So extending the appearance and/or trial date(s) will not change your ineligibility.

Also, a "-" in the radar box usually means that the officer did not use radar but it does not eliminate the possibility of a pace; nor does the fact that you did not see him. (he didn't simply drop out of nowhere, did he?)

1. Sponsored Links