Default Caught Shoplifting from a Department Store

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Maryland

My friend got caught shoplifting from a department store (I don't know which one is it). She said she was first time and she seems really regret. She shoplifted two items about $20 and she returned them when she got caught.The store people brought her back to the security room and took her picture. Also she signed two forms ( She is not what were they) and they copied her driver license. She is not sure whether they called police or not because the store manager told her that " leave before the police come". She said she did not write down social security number, but she wrote down the information of herself. She said the store manager did not mention about she will get mail or go to court. Will she go to jail? Will she have to pay civil demand? What should she do? Will she have a record? Will the record affect she getting job in the future? If they are going to mail her court involved, how long will it take?
    She is young and she doesn't want to tell this to her parents.
    I want to help her, but I don't know what can I do for her.
    Please help!!

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting from a Department Store

She's gonna have to tell her parents eventually.

She will definitely have a Civil Demand notice coming in the mail. She needs to pay that immediately.

The papers she signed are typically a confession, and also she is likely banned from the store (and it's other locations).

Court...it is possible the store turned the file over to the police....only time will tell on that one.

1. Sponsored Links