Default Condominium Plumbing Rules

My question involves a condominium located in the State of Florida. I live in an upstairs unit. The unit below me is currently vacant. I found out today that the pluming to my upstairs condo goes under the cement slab in the bedroom of the downstairs unit. I am being told that since the plumbing is mine that I am responsible for the costs of fixing it. Six or Seven years ago the same thing happened and the only thing I was responsible for was paying for the rug to be stretched to it's original condition. Now the association's president is telling me that the rule is my pipe my responsibility. Is this true? Thanks!

Default Re: Condominium Plumbing Rules

That's going to depend upon the Bylaws, contracts and rules that govern your respective responsibility. As we do not have access to any of the relevant materials, we cannot interpret them for you. If you do not understand their provisions, you may want to have them reviewed by a real estate lawyer.

Are there any Florida Statutes that control this or are they only governed by the association? The only reason I am asking this is when the insurance adjuster came out he quoted a 2008 ruling that states "the cement slab and the piping which is common to both units is the association’s responsibility. Is there such a statute or are they just trying to get out of paying on a claim?

Quote Quoting rickaug
    View Post
    Are there any Florida Statutes that control this or are they only governed by the association? The only reason I am asking this is when the insurance adjuster came out he quoted a 2008 ruling that states "the cement slab and the piping which is common to both units is the association’s responsibility. Is there such a statute or are they just trying to get out of paying on a claim?
    so, is the piping of concern common to multiple units or specific to just your unit? If the piping is common to multiple units, then it is likely to be considered common, or at least limited common and as such, the responsibility of the COA and not the individual.

Quote Quoting rickaug
    View Post
    I do not believe it has anything to do with "state statutes", but has to do with the bylaws of your condo.. I owned condos that I live in and rent out, and the CC&R's all say the condo owner's responsibiity goes up to the "inner walls" of the unit, and anything beyond that is HOA responsibility. This even include the windows.

Yet, I was responding to a post here a few weeks ago, someone cited her CC&R saying that adjoining units share the responsibilty for plumbing 50/50. She wanted to know why the realtor told her originally the HOA is responsible. I answered that her CC&R is somwhat out of the ordinary, and the realtor is correct for the other 99+%.

This cuts both ways. If these are HOA responsibility, that means you and everyone else has to chip in. But on the same token, you get to chip in for every other repairs like these, so ther is no free lunch.

1. Sponsored Links