Default Is There a Specific Time Frame for a Family Court Judge to Make a Decision

I was suppose to have a court date in NJ (monmouth county) last Friday, and the day before was called to tell me the judge will not be having oral argument. This was a motion filed for an increase in child support and to have a percentage of my child's college to be paid. There was a cross motion filed and then my response. It is a week now and the law clerk said there was still no decision, meanwhile I'm laying out money every single day for books, supplies, etc. Is there a time limit for a judge to give their decision

Default Re: Is There a Specific Time Frame for a Family Court Judge to Make a Decision

A week is nothing in family court. When you asked your law clerk, what were you told?

Default Re: Is There a Specific Time Frame for a Family Court Judge to Make a Decision

He told me there was no decision yet. I asked him to check to make sure an order wasn't placed. He checked and told me again there's still no decision. Do you know if there is a time limit though? I would think a judge would realize college is starting and get on this.

Quote Quoting MikesMom
    View Post
    I would think a judge would realize college is starting and get on this.
    I'm sure that the judge has your college's handbook and calender right on his desk. lol Most decisions are done by 1-3 months.

The judge is probably thinking that most parents realize they're not the only case on the docket and should budget accordingly

Without knowing how Monmouth County itself works - and that's what you should ask the clerk "What's the average turnaround time?" - the Judge might have as long as 60 days to render a decision.

1. Sponsored Links