Default Underage Possession of Alcohol in Ocean City, Maryland

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Maryland

While I was at Senior Week (week after high school graduation where graduates go to Ocean City, Maryland for a week) I decided to drink and walk out of my hotel with a red cup with liquor in it to the beach at 2AM Anyways, after I crossed the street in front of my hotel, a cop stopped me and asked me what was in my cup. I kept walking and then eventually decided to stop. He wasn't going to call in the charge, but unfortunately his partner had already done so. I'm not sure what the actual charge is because I lost the citation, but I'm guessing just an alcohol citation or a possession of alcohol. I did not have to blow into a breathalyzer, and I don't recall the cop ever asking me if I was already drunk. Basically I just got in trouble for having a cup of liquor and being underage. The citation says a maximum of a $500 fine. I didn't think about getting a lawyer since I am obviously guilty. Will I have to retell what happened that night? Should I expect to pay the $500? It is my first offense. Basically I just want to know what to expect on the day of my court date. My court date is August 18, so quick replies will be very much appreciated!! Thanks

Default Re: 18 Year Old Charged with Underage Possession in Ocean City, Maryland

I didn't think about getting a lawyer since I am obviously guilty.
    Get a lawyer anyway.

Will I have to retell what happened that night? Should I expect to pay the $500?
    Yes and yes.

Default Re: 18 Year Old Charged with Underage Possession in Ocean City, Maryland

I second LawResearcherMissy. A good lawyer's not just good for getting you found "not guilty," they can also argue for a sentence they believe is just.

And you felt it was crucial to add that comment to a thread from 2011?

1. Sponsored Links