Default Change of Status from J1 to F1 Visa and Start Studies Before J1 Contract Ends

I have an inquiry about the following situation:

I am an Au pair, I am currently in my second year and I am not subject to the 2-year foreign residence requirement. The end date on my DS-2019 is October 4th, 2011. This does not include month of grace.

I applied to a graduate school and I have been accepted with a scholarship to the master program I desire.The classes are going to start on September 1st, 2011 because I have been accepted to the fall semester. I will be sending my application for changing of status to F1 visa during the next couple of days.

Despite that my contract as an Au pair is going to finish on October 4th, I am allowed to finish prior to that end date because my host family does not need me to work anymore and I will stop working once I start studying my full time master.

Is there any conflict between dates? Am I allowed to take classes for the master once I submit my application for changing of status to F1 visa?

What am I legally allow to do?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this case.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Default Re: Change of Status from J1 to F1 Visa and Start Studies Before J1 Contract Ends

Change of status is not likely to be completed before the start of school. You need to be in F1 for your assistantship/scholarship. You need visa stamping generally in your home country for the fastest processing to F1. Your best source for information and advice about your specific circumstances as a student is the DSO at your university. I suggest you speak with the international office immediately.

1. Sponsored Links