Default Title Insurance for Tax Sale Quit Claim Deed

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Michigan. I bought a property about a year ago at tax sale. I'm trying to sell the property but the title company that the buyer is closing with is refusing to insure the property. The property has a judgement from the circuit court for tax foreclosure granting the property ownership to the county prior to the tax sale (no redemption period for previous owner). There was a quit claim deed recorded to the previous owner in 1988 and they failed to pay the property taxes thus causing the tax foreclosure. There are no other title issues or liens other than the previous ownership. They state they will not accept the judgement of foreclosure from the court but they will accept certified letter receipts indicating that the previous owner received the notification of the tax sale? That makes no sense, since when does certified mail receipts have more importance than a circuit court documented judgement of foreclosure? They say if I cannot come up with the certified mail receipts my only other option is quiet title or to pay a "title cleaning" company to verify the clear title they already have verified?. Any ideas? I'm thinking of trying a different title company. Thanks.

Default Re: Title Insurance for Tax Sale Quit Claim Deed

What kind of deed did you get and from whom?

I received a quit claim deed from the county I purchased the property from in the tax sale.

It's routine in your circumstance to file a quit claim action before selling.

By all means, try different title companies, but I expect you'll hear the same thing.

Thank you for the update. Is it normal to get a quiet title or title certification through tax title services for tax sold properties that have a circut court judgement of foreclosure against the previous owner for the unpaid taxes? I was just curious because the tax title services website indicates their services are needed only when you don't have a court judgement "from their website: At present, it is extremely difficult to obtain title insurance on properties obtained from defaulted tax liens without a court foreclosure action." But I have a circuit court foreclosure judgement granting the property ownership to the county I purchased the property from? Just trying to get this straightened out. Thanks for the help.

1. Sponsored Links