My question involves criminal law for the state of: Virginia

A few weeks ago I was charged with shoplifting about $25.00 worth of cosmetics from Target. I was stopped before I left the store and brought to their security room. They took my picture and pictures of the items I stole and then called the police. I was issued a paper saying what I was being charged with and given my court date of august 25th. I was also given a paper stating I could no longer enter the target for a year. In addition the security officer handed me a paper which stated that I acknowledge my guilt and told me that by signing the paper I would be helping myself out in court and that it could go along way in making the process easier for me. He told me that because it was my first time and I had nothing else on my record that I would most likely just pay around $200.00 in fines and fees. I have never been to court before and have no idea what to expect. I was not arrested and have not gotten a lawyer. I don't even know if I need a lawyer and was wondering if someone could give me any kind of advice.