Default Ex-Roommate Left Me His Fridge. 15 Months Later, He Wants It Back

State of Utah

I had a roommate through April 2010. He graduated the university we were attending, and was planning on leaving the country. As such, he told me I could have his fridge, as he wouldn't be able to take it with him.

December 2010 he contacted me and asked me if he could have it back. I told him no, as he had given it to me. While undoubtably a selfish move on my part, he accepted this, and I hadn't heard from him until a week or so ago, when he told me that he is moving back into town and wants his fridge back.

Morality aside, what's my legal recourse? Does he have any legal right to the fridge? All our conversations since his moving out have been over text message.

Default Re: Ex-Roommate Left Me His Fridge. 15 Months Later, He Wants It Back

You can give him the fridge or refuse to do so. If you take the latter approach, he can sue you and try to prove to a court that it's his fridge and that you must either return it or pay him its value.

1. Sponsored Links