Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Can I Counter My Ex's Motion Without My Attorney

    My question involves child support in the State of: Kansas

    My ex is trying to reduce his child support because I claim the kids on taxes. They live with me 100% of the time, he has only seen them 3 times in 4 years. I have not objected to him lowering however, I did insist before I sign an agreed order, that he get caught up on the out of pocket medical expenses he owes me, previously already ordered to pay, in which he has paid none. Because I wouldn't agree to it, his attorney filed a motion to lower it and asking for me to pay his attorney fees. I sent my attorney an email asking what the options were. Instead of returning my email or phone calls, she filed a motion "on my behalf" without speaking to me.
    Is it possible for me to fire her and just represent myself? How would I go about withdrawing her motion and filing the correct counter motion? We would love to hire a new attorney but we do not have the funds to do so.
    He has done this many time in the past few years draining us of all savings. The most current was a visitation agreement in which it was sent to mediation and he never showed up. We gave him 4 dates to see the kids and he never showed to those either. At this point, his mom is paying his attorney fees and it's feeling a bit frivolous. I have texts and emails saying he's doing this because he can and he's going to break us. I just don't know where to go from here...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: Can I Counter My Ex's Motion Without My Attorney

    You can fire your lawyer. We're not positioned to tell you if you would be comfortable or effective in advocating for yourself without the assistance of a lawyer - that's an assessment you need to make of yourself.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Motions: Motion for Attorney Fees
    By jgagliano81 in forum Civil Procedure
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 05:35 AM
  2. Legal Malpractice: Not Notified of Attorney's Motion to Withdraw
    By wal in forum Malpractice Law
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-26-2010, 11:38 PM
  3. Arrest Procedure: Can a Citizen Counter-Sue Prosecuting Attorney in Michigan
    By chet1508 in forum Criminal Procedure
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-01-2009, 03:25 PM
  4. Working With a Lawyer: Attorney Has Not Filed The Motion
    By decadude in forum Criminal Defense Lawyers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-17-2008, 11:18 AM
  5. Legal Malpractice: Attorney Lies In A Motion And Refuses To Admit It
    By TiredinLouisiana in forum Malpractice Law
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources