Default Where is the Line to "Unauthorized Practice of Law"

My question relates to legal practice in the state of: Oregon

Hi Everyone!

I had a question regarding un-authorized practice of law. This morning I received an email through my FaceBook from someone who had some questions about an appeal that went in their favor, I do not know this person at all, I'm guessing they accessed my page through a legal page I like.
    I don't know much about the appeals process so could only point them to a site that would have helpful information. If I had known about it, I would have gladly given information, but on thinking on this later, wouldn't I have crossed the line of unauthorized practice of law?

I am a pre-paralegal student and want to help anyone I can, but want to stay in the laws/rules. Can anyone tell me what they are, or point me to a site that would have them?

Thank you in advance for any information.

Miss Magoo.

Default Re: Where is the Line to "Un-Authorized Practice of Law"

Ok I just did research on this. Your allowed to give the information which is facts that you research. However your not allowed to give them advice on what to do and not to do. Just point them in the right direction by providing legal information, you dont have to tell them what to do or what decision to make

Thank you so much collegekidlawyr, I am glad to know that now, then I won't make a mistake later. So as long as I give "general information" then I am in the clear correct?

Thank you again for your time.

Lets say someone comes to you and ask what is the statue of limitation in the state of california for domestic violence. You can tell them what it is. However if they ask should i sue my ex boyfriend for this much then you cant say what to do.

I was having the same problem as you when it came to helping others. Im a pre law student and all I wanted to do is help but everyone had mixed answers. I did a lot of research and if you give the general public general information then your good but if you give them advice on what to do then you might be crossing the line. Just read the disclaimer on the bottom of this page. It explains everything.

"Information provided in the forum is not intended to substitute for professional advice, including but not limited to professional legal advice. If you submit a question or comment it is assumed that you are interested in soliciting, receiving or giving general information and not legal advice. Laws vary by state, and the laws described in this forum may be different in your state or may have been changed since the information was posted. The legal help offered in this forum comes from volunteers who may not have any formal legal training or knowledge, and all information should be confirmed with a qualified legal professional. All information is made available on an "as is" basis. You should accept legal advice only from a licensed legal professional with whom you have an attorney-client relationship."

Ok, got it! Thank you for explaining it so clearly! I definitely am wanting to help people, and the message was surprising to receive, I just didn't want to mess up, for their sake, and mine as well.
    I did read the disclaimer, it seems easy to not cross the line on the forum, but I'm concerned that I would blow it in real life because I would get too excited to help.

Thank you so very much again and good luck on law school!!

1. Sponsored Links