Default Unemployment Benefits if I Quit for Medical Reasons Due to Extreme Job Conditions

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: Nevada.
    Since massive layoffs a couple years ago (2/3 staff gone in our department), I have been working 45-50 hours a week (salary) plus more when people are gone like last week when when I did 12-hour days eating 2 frozen meals a day at my desk because of many deadlines each day. My blood pressure has been quite high and I have a cardiology appointment for next week. Management just says you have to take breaks (without creating a work load that make it possible). There are new projects being assigned without additional staff and more vacations coming. This has been going on for a couple years without relief. I want to quit and find something less stressful but can't afford to not get unemployment while I'm looking. Is there anything I can do besides give notice and hope for the best?

Default Re: Unemployment Benefits if I Quit for Medical Reasons Due to Extreme Job Conditions

You won't get unemployment if you quit for this reason. You'll need to find another job before you quit. And yes, it can be done. 45-50 hours a week is really not that horrendous - there are many exempt employees who work 60-70 hour or more weeks, every week, as a matter of course.

Default Re: Unemployment Benefits if I Quit for Medical Reasons Due to Extreme Job Conditions

I had a job where I worked 12 hr shifts for 6 straight months w/no days off...sounds like the company is somewhat sympathetic ... see if your dr. can write an order or something & see what happens; worst they can do is fire you ... do not say you will not work.

1. Sponsored Links