Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Driving on Private Property While Suspended

I was wondering if it is illegal to operate a motor vehicle on private property in the state of Michigan?

Default Re: Driving on Private Property While Suspended in Mi

define: private property

Default Re: Driving on Private Property While Suspended in Mi

Per MCL 257.904, "A person whose operator's or chauffeur's license or registration certificate has been suspended or revoked and who has been notified as provided in section 212 of that suspension or revocation, whose application for license has been denied, or who has never applied for a license, shall not operate a motor vehicle upon a highway or other place open to the general public or generally accessible to motor vehicles, including an area designated for the parking of motor vehicles, within this state."

Default Re: Driving on Private Property While Suspended

I was on a forty acre wooded parcel that is privately owned and am now being charged with driving on a suspended license. I'm just trying to figure out if this charge is valid and advice on how to get it dismissed if it's not.

Quote Quoting JayBro
    View Post
    I was on a forty acre wooded parcel that is privately owned and am now being charged with driving on a suspended license. I'm just trying to figure out if this charge is valid and advice on how to get it dismissed if it's not.
    so, define: private property

Every Walmart is privately owned.

as Mr. K posted, and highlighted: open to the general public or generally accessible to motor vehicles.

It's a wooded area with no roads only tight trails that very few people know about. It's not private property that is open to the public like a business would be. It's a piece of property that has no buildings or any other attractions besides the trails that run through it.

Quote Quoting JayBro
    View Post
    It's a wooded area with no roads only tight trails that very few people know about. It's not private property that is open to the public like a business would be. It's a piece of property that has no buildings or any other attractions besides the trails that run through it.
    If there are no fences, gates, obstructions... etc, preventing the general public from driving through it on or off those trials you describe, then the property *IS* open to the general public and the property *IS* accessible to motor vehicles!

Quote Quoting JayBro
    View Post
    So, did a licensed driver drive you and your vehicle to this property?

It may have been obvious that the vehicle got there over public roadways and perhaps that is why you got the citation.

Quote Quoting JayBro
    View Post
    Ok. let me make it really clear.

who owns the property?

did you have permission from the owner to drive your vehicle on the property?

Do you even know the owner?

Do you even know who the owner is?

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    Ok. let me make it really clear.

who owns the property?

did you have permission from the owner to drive your vehicle on the property?

Do you even know the owner?

Do you even know who the owner is?
    Yes I know who the owner is no I did not have permission.

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    So, did a licensed driver drive you and your vehicle to this property?

It may have been obvious that the vehicle got there over public roadways and perhaps that is why you got the citation.

I did not drive the vehicle out there the owner of the vehicle did and the Police know that because they have talked to both of us already.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast