Default Judgment Entered in Car Accident Lawsuit, Defendant Lives in Another Country

I was sued and a judgement was made on an accident I was involved in prior to accepting a job out of the country. The claim is for soft tissue damage in the amount of 19k. Judgement was made and I am order to pay. What options do I have to resolve this in my absence? Was I properly served?

Default Re: Judgement Made and I Reside Outside of the Country in Car Accident Case

Laws vary by state. Please belatedly follow the instruction to identify the state.

You were uninsured?

Default Re: Judgement Made and I Reside Outside of the Country in Car Accident Case

I am insured. I resided in the state of Georgia at the time. I was told by my Dad who signed the papers that were served at his house that I would be represented by my insurance company. Naturally, that sounded logical and I believed him. He just notified me almost a year later that a judgement was made and I was ordered to pay. I was confused so I searched for the court docs online and it stated no one responded to the claim. I am serving as a Peace Corps volunteer in Honduras so, I only know what people tell me. I was misinformed about the case by my father's negligance. What options do I have?

did either you or your father bother to notify your insurance company that you were being sued?

I assumed he did since he told me they were taking care of it and I am not in the country to deal with situation. But from the looks of the case report it seems like he did not.

Quote Quoting tximines
    View Post
    I assumed he did since he told me they were taking care of it and I am not in the country to deal with situation. But from the looks of the case report it seems like he did not.
    well, that's some bad news then. If there was proper service and it appears there was, the plaintiff was awarded a default judgment. I doubt the insurance company is bound to do anything for you but I would at least contact them regarding the issue.

Basically from not responding to the complaint and not notifying your insurance company, you have really put yourself in a very poor position. If the insurance company refuses to do anything, you might check with a lawyer that can investigate the service and such to be sure it was done properly. As I see it, that is your only shot at getting out of this.

1. Sponsored Links