Default Should I Send this Letter?

Before anyone responds...am I just setting myself/the new homeowner/realestate agent up for trouble? This property needs to be addressed, as there are potentially harmful issues there, but is it any of my business to get involved? Should this information not have already been passed on by my old agent? Other people who have more authority know about it, yet I am not mentioning any companies or names of individuals in the letter, maybe I should just mind my own business? I just worry about peoples' health, and the street this property is on. I really don't know what to do. Let me know what you think, and then any letter suggestions/changes/corrections would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

(name of real estate agent)

(name & address of real estate company)

July 27, 2006

Attention: (name of real estate agent), (title)

Reference: (address of problem)

Dear (name of real estate agent);

I am writing this letter to you today regarding the above mentioned address. As a previous home buyer in the (town) area, I had the opportunity to view this home when it was listed approximately 7 – 8 years ago.

At that time, a home inspection was done by a highly regarded company, and it was discovered that an old oil tank was buried under the pool and decking. This was not stated on the home checklist, and when confronted, the homeowner confessed that he had not properly disposed of the tank. The real estate agent and home inspector questioned the homeowner, and he added that he also had not properly filled and capped the tank. None of the work had been performed by a reputable company, as he had filled the tank with sand himself. There was discussion as to environmental issues, as this property lies close to the (town) River.

The suggestion that the pool, decking and tank be removed and properly dealt with was a concern but the added health risks to our family were far superior. We also did not want the future sale of the home and any past or present environmental issues to be questioned, and have these problems be on our shoulders. With the advice of the home inspector and 2 real estate agents at that time, our offer became void.

I would hope that this information had been passed on to the new owners of this residence, should a sale have occurred, and also relayed to you. This issue is a serious one, and I believe that any and all precautions should be taken when dealing with this home. As a respected agent with a very well known real estate company, I trust that this matter will again be looked into and come as a red flag to be noted in this addresses files.

I would like to thank you for your time and attention to this matter, and wish you both personal and business success in the future.

Yours very truly,

(my name or anonymous ???)

Cc: Township of (…)

Default Re: Should I send this letter?

The better way to phrase your inquiry might be, "Would you send this letter?"

Default Re: Should I send this letter?

ok...Would you send this letter? I have spoken with some friends, and some say yes, others say no, don't get involved. I feel like I should, but wanted some advice from a professional.

1. Sponsored Links