Default 18 and Want to Move Out While Still Attending Private High School

I'm about to turn 18 and my parents and I are having disagreements about my freedom and ability to do what I want. I am a very good student and have a 3.88 cumulative GPA with a rigorous course schedule involving all honors and AP courses and a 1410 on my math/verbal SATs (2020 overall). I am looking for a way to stay in my high school while being full self-sufficient until I go off to college. I have no knowledge of how much the cheapest apartments cost or if what I want is actually financially possible. Though this post is not a question directly about the letter of the law, I'm looking for guidance as to the easiest way to get this done. Any help would be appreciated

NOTE: Despite our disagreements, my parents both still care about me and would be open to negotiation as far as helping me pay my tuition, paying for a few months of rent as I get on my feet, etc.

Default Re: 18 and Want to Move Out While Still Attending Private High School

The easiest way? Research housing costs, get a job, support yourself 100%, move out, and pay your own tuition.

Sorry, this is not a legal question.

I don't think you understand the realities of the situation.

If you emancipate, your parents don't have to give you another dime.... and shouldn't. You didn't post your work history, your criminal record or your business plan for proving to a judge how you can pay for this lifestyle you want. Your parents giving you money isn't emancipation.

If they are willing to support you, tell them to just do it. Your parents can allow you to live wherever they wish you to live. If you say they won't pay so that you can go to school and live without their rules, you have your answer.

As you get older, you will find the words "do what you want" really don't mean what you think they mean.

Quote Quoting vv00ds3o42
    View Post
    I'm about to turn 18 and my parents and I are having disagreements about my freedom and ability to do what I want. I am a very good student and have a 3.88 cumulative GPA with a rigorous course schedule involving all honors and AP courses and a 1410 on my math/verbal SATs (2020 overall). I am looking for a way to stay in my high school while being full self-sufficient until I go off to college. I have no knowledge of how much the cheapest apartments cost or if what I want is actually financially possible. Though this post is not a question directly about the letter of the law, I'm looking for guidance as to the easiest way to get this done. Any help would be appreciated

NOTE: Despite our disagreements, my parents both still care about me and would be open to negotiation as far as helping me pay my tuition, paying for a few months of rent as I get on my feet, etc.
    What state are you in? Laws on this can vary by state.

If your parents are willing to agree to help you stay out on your own, then that may be all that is necessary.

Sounds like your parents love you and wants what is best. Honestly the stress of you being out on your own while you finish high school is tremendous and could case you problems. Why not just stay at home your senior year and then when you go off to college you'll be on your own. Do rush growing up and fending totally for yourself, its not what you think it is.

1. Sponsored Links