Default How Much to Expect for Major Accident with Mild, Possibly Moderate Injuries

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: PA

Does anybody have an idea of what I can expect here? The driver who hit me was under the influence at the time and totaled both his and my cars. I briefly lost consciousness, but so far my treatment hasn't revealed anything too major other than extreme back/neck/shoulder pain. The other driver also has a history of DUI. Assuming when I finish treatment it turns out that my injuries are all temporary and there are no broken bones or anything like that, does anybody have an idea of what to expect as far as a settlement? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: How Much to Expect for Major Accident with Moderate Injuries (Possibly)

If your injuries are not permanent? Best case scenario is your medical bills and your car. Expect the other guy's insurance company to lowball you on both. Try consulting with a local ambulance chaser, I mean automobile accident attorney, and see what they say. Don't be surprised if it goes one of 2 ways. Either sorry you don't have a case but we'll litigate if you wanna pay us or you've got a gold mine and we'll litigate it if you pay us.

Default Re: How Much to Expect for Major Accident with Moderate Injuries (Possibly)

What was the year make and model of your car.

There is a significant amount of damage If it were a 2006 corvette that got totaled vs a 1987 Ford Taurus.

First, you should have an attorney who can find out what the policy limits are on the other side. All attorneys take accident cases on contingency, nobody pays upfront. If you find an attorney that wants to be paid upfront, RUN away.

Any insurance company insuring a drunk driver likely issued a policy that is the minimum required by law. If they have any defense they will fight. They will be difficult about paying. You had best be represented by an attorney.

You should check your state's law or maybe someone here knows PA law. I could care less. In Florida, you can sue a drunk driver for punitive damages which can be many times the actual damages. Insurance never covers punitive damages so he is on his own. DUI drivers are not always poor losers, maybe you got one with assets and money.

Thought I'd give an update for anyone who is in a similar situation. Sorry for not responding to you, WhosThatGuy--the property damage was actually settled early on before I even posted this for a fair amount. Free9man, the medicals were automatically being paid by the other driver's insurance and through PIP... also I don't know if you just have an animus against claimants and/or possibly adjusters, but your advice was very much off. The meds were paid 100%, car for the full KBB value, and a settlement of $5000 for pain and suffering. I was discharged from PT after one month-long session.

1. Sponsored Links