Default Is My Lease Valid if Owner Didn't Sign the Contract and It Has Whiteout Marks

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California

the title says it all. I have to move out for multiple reasons. Turns out my one year lease was never signed by the ownership, but i signed it. The lease still has 3 months left but we have to move now. Now that we look over the original lease that management has it turns out they never signed it. Also there are whiteout marks over the monthly rent price and a few other spots with different numbers. They say the lease is valid because we signed it and they don't have to sign it. They want 1500 for breaching the lease. Is this a legal contract?

Default Re: Is My Lease Valid if Owner Didn't Sign the Contract and It Has Whiteout Marks

Your signature binds you to the lease.

White-out doesn't invalidate a lease. It was not that many years ago that changes to written documents, contracts, leases and letters were routinely made with white-out.

Default Re: Is My Lease Valid if Owner Didn't Sign the Contract and It Has Whiteout Marks

Quote Quoting dexter327
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California

the title says it all. I have to move out for multiple reasons. Turns out my one year lease was never signed by the ownership, but i signed it. The lease still has 3 months left but we have to move now. Now that we look over the original lease that management has it turns out they never signed it. Also there are whiteout marks over the monthly rent price and a few other spots with different numbers. They say the lease is valid because we signed it and they don't have to sign it. They want 1500 for breaching the lease. Is this a legal contract?
    Yes, the lease is legally binding, but is there a clause in there anywhere about "early termination"? That will tell you what the penalty is.

1. Sponsored Links