Default Accused of Hitting a Parked Car

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: MO

I dropped my kids off at church on Monday. Tuesday, a man (claiming to be a cop, though he never showed ID) and a teen girl came up to me in that same parking lot and asked if I had been involved in an accident yesterday. I said no. He said that the girls says I was pulling out of my parking spot (parallel parked) and hit/scraped her car and she said it made her car move like a foot.
    I said I felt nothing like that. We looked at my bumper and I do have a scratch, though I couldn't say for sure if it was there before or not. I have a few scrapes and dings. He showed me the tiny scuff on her back bumper as well. He said we needed to exchange insurance info and that she would go to the police to file a report.
    I do not recall at all hitting someone, and while I suppose it could be true that I could have scraped someone without really realizing it (though unlikely), I do not think it is possible that I could have hit someone hard enough to move their car a foot and not notice.
    Today she said she got it checked out at the dealership and they say they need to repair the bumper. Again - if I was pulling out of a parking spot I would have been going slowly. Too slow to move her car like she said and certainly too slow to have caused that kind of damage.
    Isn't this just a "he said, she said" kind of thing? And I heard something about parking lots being "no fault zone" or something... yes? What are my options here?
    Thanks!

By the way, she and the man also suggested that this be done without insurance and I could just give them money after she got an estimate.
    It just seems like this could all be a scam to get my money! For all I know, she hit ME. The total is $373 and again, I just don't see how a scrape that I didn't notice could have caused that much damage.

Default Re: Girl Claiming I Hit Her

I find it unbelievable that this girl didn't confront you immediately after you allegedly hit her. I would make her prove to a court that you hit her as she said you did. A court would be just as surprised as I am that it took a day before you were confronted about hitting another car.

Default Re: Accuses of Hitting a Parked Car

Quote Quoting idiot22
    View Post
    By the way, she and the man also suggested that this be done without insurance and I could just give them money after she got an estimate.
    That kind of screams scam to me too. Your insurance probably wouldn't pay out unless you admit you hit here or she could prove you hit her, I personally would be surprise if she could. I also find it hard to believe you could hit her hard enough to move her car a foot and cause that much damage without noticing it as it happened.

Quote Quoting Willlyjo
    View Post
    I find it unbelievable that this girl didn't confront you immediately after you allegedly hit her.
    Hypothetical: OP dropped off her kids (hit the girl's car) and took off... Girl noted the model/make/color of the car that hit hers, but wasn't close enough to get a license plate number. So rather than getting in her own car to chase the OP down, she subsequently notified the police... But without a plate number, the police aren't going to lift a finger to try and establish identity. It was decided that it would be best to wait until the next day to see if the same car would show up and low and behold, there it was!!!!

You still find it unbelievable?

Quote Quoting Willlyjo
    View Post
    I would make her prove to a court that you hit her as she said you did. A court would be just as surprised as I am that it took a day before you were confronted about hitting another car.
    I will agree that the burden of proof rests with the girl. Though if this happened at a school, during or around the time that other children are being dropped off, it is highly likely that the girl was the only witness... Doesn't make it that difficult of a case! So I'll disagree that a court would be as surprised as you are!

I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Were the actual police ever called?

If not and you are confronted again, simply call 911 and have an officer write up a report.

If the officer without id vanishes at a dead run or the girl suddenly remembers she has a class starting in Hong Kong, you will know.

When in doubt, call the police and your insurance company.

"Hey miss, were you involved in an accident yesterday?"

is a heck of a lot different than...

"Hey miss, you hit our car yesterday and didn't give us you insurance information."

Sounds more like a fishing expedition on their part trying to figure out who hit their car. I had a lady flat out tell me 100% without a doubt that the car that hit her parked car was this car (pointing to another car parked in the parking lot). She claimes she knew this was the car because she matched the damage from her car which had white paint transfers (it was actually the scuffed clear coat of her car which turns white) to a white car with similar damage. I had to point out to her that the damage to the other car was signifigantly wider than the width of damage to her car. She was skeptical even after I showed her with a tape measure the damage was off by 3 inches in width (the white car was 6" and hers was 3"). Her car was mint, fresh off the lot with 94 miles on it and not a prior scratch. Even after I left the scene she was still sure that was the car that hit hers. I clearly documented in my report the white car was not the car who hit hers.

Sucessful prosecution of a hit and run requires not only identifying the car, but includes identifying the driver as well. Like I said before, it sounds like they were fishing.

On a side note I have several dings on my car. I know how every ding got there (mainly my wife , I only own one ding). Not knowing how your bumper scratch got there looks bad...

1. Sponsored Links