Default Back Pay and Owed Vacation After Termination

My question involves employment and labor law for the state of: New York

Hello,

I am owed just under $4,900 from my previous employer. Prior to being let go I was owed 1.5 months pay for over 2 months. I am also owed unused vacation days for this year and last year. I have been owed this money for over 3 months now (going on 4 months). Every-time I ask about it I am told that they are working on it and will send out a check ASAP, of course this never happens.

What is the maximum amount of time an employer can wait before he/she has to pay their former employee? Also what do I need to do in order to get what is owed to me? A former co-worker had to take my boss to court just to get what little was owed to him. I wanted to avoid doing this but it seems like I have no other choice.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you can offer. Also I apologize if I have left out anything, please let me know if I need to add more information to this post.

Thank You,
    Dan Matarazzo

Default Re: Back Pay and Owed Vacation After Termination

Off the top of my head I don't remember what NY's drop-dead date is for final pay, but I guarantee you it's less time than you've been waiting. No state has a limit that long. Contact the NY state DOL.

If the NY state DOL cannot help you (I seem to remember they have a dollar limit on what cases they will accept) then speak to an employment attorney about your best options.

Default Re: Back Pay and Owed Vacation After Termination

Thank you cbg!

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Off the top of my head I don't remember what NY's drop-dead date is for final pay, but I guarantee you it's less time than you've been waiting. No state has a limit that long. Contact the NY state DOL.

If the NY state DOL cannot help you (I seem to remember they have a dollar limit on what cases they will accept) then speak to an employment attorney about your best options.

1. Sponsored Links