Default How to Handle Insurance Claim Damage Filed by Lien Holder on Repossessed Vehicle

My question involves an auto loan or repossession in the State of: Washington.

My vehicle was voluntarily repossessed in June by the lienholder. I had been requesting they take possession of the vehicle since March 2011 when I purchased it used, but they said they couldn't until I'd had the car for at least 2 mos. with no payments made on the loan. Long story, but this is what I'm facing now... The car was towed from my residence by a towing co. the lienholder had hired. I was cooperative and had the car ready for them. Yesterday morning I rec'd a call from my auto insurer saying the lienholder/bank called them yesterday a.m. to file a claim against my auto insurance for damage to the car on the right rear passenger door. I was shocked! There was NO damage to the vehicle when it left my residence! The insurance rep said this happens a lot and that they would have an adjuster investigate, but that in all likelihood I would have to pay my $500 deductible and they would cover the "damage" on the claim made by the lienholder. I told the ins. rep. that I really hope they don't let the bank screw either of us... The car was in the exact same condition as when I purchased it. Any alledged damage to the body HAD to be incurred by the tow company. Unfortunately, I have no way to prove this myself... I never even thought about taking pic's of the vehicle or having any kind of form signed by the tow co. stating the condition of the car. I am NOT one of those people who trashed their car before it was repossessed... like damages to foreclosed homes you hear about. I am really, really upset. How, if possible, can I protect myself in this situation? It's bad enough I had to have the car repossessed (at my request), but this is just plain wrong... I am an honest person and I did NOT have any damage to the car... Any help/advice will be appreciated! Thank you.

Default Re: How to Handle Insurance Claim Damage Filed by Lien Holder on Repossessed Vehicle

If these con artists come after you for a 500.00 deductible, counter sue them and report them for the fraud they are committing.

Default Re: How to Handle Insurance Claim Damage Filed by Lien Holder on Repossessed Vehicle

Thank you for the comment/advice... Just got off the phone with the insurance co. to f/u on the claim status. Said they will be paying for the body work on the car. They have to, by law - they say it's state statute in WA State to oblige the lienholder's claim. Apparently they are claiming damage to a rear passenger door that their adjustor states looks like a "ding" from another car in a parking lot... Insurance Rep stated it's "only" $651.98 in damage... but $500 out of my pocket. That "ding" is less than the size of a quarter and was present when the vehicle was sold to me... Can't believe this. I said there is no way I will pay out $500 for the bank to have the ding repaired... They didn't mind it when I had to buy the car with that ding, did they? How much more crooked can our society get??? I understand the reason behind having a law like this, but it's obvious it's way too easy for banks/lienholders to scam the system and "fix up" used cars for their own benefit/pocketbook. Amazing the insurance companies don't fight this more. What a scam.

1. Sponsored Links