Default Towed Illegally from Visitor Parking Area

My question involves towing laws for the State of: Michigan

Today I parked in the visitor section of a apartment complex. It specifically said visitor parking so I assumed it was fine to be there. My friend (who lived there) met me by my car and we went to get some food. I came back and my car had been towed. This is how they tow cars at that complex. They had one worker for a tow company in a truck watching for people to park. Then if they went across the street their cars were towed. I went in and talked to the manager and they said that starting this year they were towing people for walking across a street because kids were parking there to go to class. I do not think this is legal. I had to pay 140 to get my car back in addition to walking 7 miles then paying $25 for a cab back.

This happened in Kalamazoo Michigan and I wonder if I have any legal recourse. This happened to multiple people not just me. Was it really legal for them to tow my car in this circumstance?

Default Re: Towed Illegaly

You're taking the position that your meeting your friend in the apartment visitor lot to have lunch across the street, even though you were not actually visiting your friend in the complex, should qualify you as a visitor. They appear to be taking the position that if you're meeting somebody to go to lunch at the restaurant across the street, even if your friend lives in the apartment complex you are not a visitor of the complex and thus do not qualify to park there.

What is the exact language of any signs relating to parking in the visitor parking area and at the entrance(s) to the parking lot?

Default Re: Towed Illegaly

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    You're taking the position that your meeting your friend in the apartment visitor lot to have lunch across the street, even though you were not actually visiting your friend in the complex, should qualify you as a visitor. They appear to be taking the position that if you're meeting somebody to go to lunch at the restaurant across the street, even if your friend lives in the apartment complex you are not a visitor of the complex and thus do not qualify to park there.

What is the exact language of any signs relating to parking in the visitor parking area and at the entrance(s) to the parking lot?
    I don't know about the one on the entrances but right next to were I parked said visitor parking. I will have to check to one at the entrances tomorrow. We were going back to his apartment after we got some food but my car was towed so I had to deal with that.

1. Sponsored Links